2011 F350 SRW 6.7 4x4 FX4 20" Wheels Bed Height Issues?

Pappy

Howdy,

I have an 2011 F350 SRW 6.7 4x4 with FX4 Off Road package and 20" wheels. I am in the market for a 5er (BC 3250) and have heard/read some concerns about the bed rail height clearance when towing a 5er. Was hoping to get some real world info from RVers that have this setup. RV dealer says no problems but want to get some info from the veteran RVers with same setup. I have a Reese Elite 30144 18K Slider Hitch that can be adjusted between 14-18". I have not towed a 5er before. Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We had a 2008 F250 with the FX4 package and 20" wheels and had no problems with clearances. As a matter of fact, we were very level.

Greg, I have the same truck and I'm on my 2nd 5th wheel with same truck. The pin weight dropped it down some in which air bags were installed to level out. I doubt you will have any issues at all, but if you do then you can make small height adjustments on your hitch and pin box. My suggestion would be to hitch up prior to final purchase. Good luck

Pappy

Markie5150,
How much clearance do you have from the top of the rails to the 5er? I have heard you need approx 6"? Do you use a slider hitch as well? I had heard the FX4 Off Road package adds 2" to the height and was a bit worried....

Geodude

I have the 6.7 F350 with 20" wheels and a Greystone and no clearance problems at all, even tho I too was worried about it. I have a good 6" of bed rail clearance.

lwmcguir

Same here with the Augusta. Same truck with the 20 inch wheels. Took it home from the dealers, poped in the ball, hooked up and went for a spin. About 6 inches of clearance as well. Bed sat down and with the pin heavy Augusta the nose is about 1 inch high and the F350 is almost level. Headlight are fine as well without having to adjust them. Was planning on adding air but don't need it. Made me one happy guy. Towed many miles now and the F350 is the best truck I have ever towed with in the past 50 years of towing.

Last edited:

Pappy

Paul,
Thank you for the info. Do you have the FX4 off road package. I am not sure if that sits higher or not? Thank you...

Geodude

I don't have the FX4 package, just the Lariat package. I'm not sure but I think all F-350s ride at the same height.

mmomega

AnyTimer
FX4 package is only skid plates on the bottom and you get white Motorcraft shocks with a Rancho sticker and the FX4 sticker. No options will effect the height of the bed wall, unless you are speaking about from the ground to the top of the bed, floor of the bed to top of the bed won't change.

On another note,
SRW F350 4X4 have 4" blocks on the rear
DRW F350 4X4 have 2" blocks on the rear
SRW F250 4X4 have 2" blocks on the rear

on the SRW F350 the beds usually sit higher than the front, once you add the weight of a heavy fifth wheel the truck usually sits level. Add the same weight to a DRW F350 and it will most likely sit an inch or two low in the rear again due to the SRWF350 having that extra 2" of lift.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I was just going to ask this same question Pappy.

We have the same truck: 2011 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 with the offroad package and 20" tires.

We do not have the fifth-wheel hitch yet. I'm shopping for that right now. I'm looking for info on the height issues. I'm seeing hitches that adapt from 14"-18" and unfortunately, I'm not sure what I'm looking for in regard to the height issues.

We ordered the Big Country 3690SL so I'm thinking we should get an 18k hitch (at least.) But what about height issues/clearance?

Alice

Birchwood

I think its desirable to haul your fith wheel level from front to rear or slightly tilted toward the truck.
It may be difficult for you to achive this fit but if your not traveling long distance maybe
it won't be a concern.My Pinehurst is perfectly level when hitched to my truck and it tows
very easily.

Pappy

I was just going to ask this same question Pappy.

We have the same truck: 2011 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 with the offroad package and 20" tires.

We do not have the fifth-wheel hitch yet. I'm shopping for that right now. I'm looking for info on the height issues. I'm seeing hitches that adapt from 14"-18" and unfortunately, I'm not sure what I'm looking for in regard to the height issues.

We ordered the Big Country 3690SL so I'm thinking we should get an 18k hitch (at least.) But what about height issues/clearance?

Alice

Alice,
We did the PDI on our 3250ts on Thursday and they put in my hitch. I have the factory prep for the hitch in my truck. I purchased a Reese 18K Elite Slider as it fits the Ford factory hitch setup. All though I have read that the slide is seldom used, I feel better having it if I need it. It is easy to get in and out of the truck as well (but heavy). They had a 2013 3596RE right next to mine when we did the PDI and it seemed that the 3596 was a few inches taller. The 3250 has a 10" inch frame and I believe the other Big Countries have 12" Frames. Anyway I was very concerned about the height as our truck sits very high. We backed it up, hitched up, and the bed lowered about 2-3 inches. The trailer was sitting very nose high on the truck. The Reese hitch can adjust from 15 3/4" to 18" in height and came from the factory at the lowest setting of 15 3/4". They related they would adjusted the pin box to the shortest setting and it would be ready when we came back on Friday to take it home. When we showed up on Friday we hitched up and it was about as level as I could tell and there was 6 1/4" between the bed rails and the 5er. It came out about as good as it could get. On a side note the truck pulled the trailer with ease and was very comfortable pulling compared to my last RV which was a TT and F-150 for TV. I will post a few pictures at the end of this tread so you can see.....Sorry for the long reply......

Last edited:

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Pappy, thanks so much. I'm so excited for you. That's a good looking combo you have there.

Another newbie question, does the trail air pin box add height? We definitely want that.

We haven't decided on the hitch yet, but I've been told we don't need the slider even though we have the 6 3/4' bed. Now you have me wondering if that's wrong. Or perhaps something we should consider.

I believe our big country is on the 12" rails as it's 39' and 12,000+ pounds. Ive looked at so many Rvs and done so much cost analysis and such that my brain is overloaded with numbers.

Alice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pappy

Alice,
I do not know about the Trail Air Pin Box. I have read several threads on the slider hitch and they state mostly the same thing about not needing it. My Brother has a short bed and has been pulling a fifth wheel for 6 years. He has used his slider a few times when the spaces are real tight and he has to get to 90 degrees to park. Mostly at the beach where the spaces are lined along the highway. I opted for it to be safe and if I ever need it I will have it available. It costs a bit more but will help my peace of mind and protect my truck and 5er when needed. Anyway that is my 2 cents...P.S. I know the wait seems like forever but was worth it to get the unit you want exactly. Ours arrived in great shape. I did a 3-4 hours PDI and only found a few minor problems that were corrected overnight. Only thing not fixed was cracked closet mirror door which they have already ordered. One additional thing that was great with the 2013 is they added a second battery shelf in the battery compartment so the batteries are together and they moved the hydrolics into the Generator storage area...have fun...

lwmcguir

Our Augusta sits about 1/2 nose high with the 5th Airborne pin. About 5 inches bed clearance. We have the 20 inch wheels and the camper package as well as the heavier GVW package.

rockerdude

The Trailer Air Pin Box, replaces your King pin box on your trailer. It is like a shock absorber, that will help absorb the ups and downs and front to back shakes as you travel down the road. As far as a slider for 5th wheel hitch, like you said Pappy, better to have it "just in case". However, I'm not going with it since Big Country stresses how you can make an 88 degree turn without it. I had a slider on one of my past set ups and only needed it twice and my 5th wheel at the time didn't have the 88 degree turn front end like the BC (but I was glad I had it when I needed it).
Also traveling with the trailer and truck being level is VERY important. Living by the CA coast for my first 13 years of RVing, it drove me nuts seeing all these 4 wheel drive trucks pulling there Toy Haulers behind them at a 15 degree angle (up in the front, with the back of the trailer just off the ground). That does a lot of damage to your trailer in the long run. With that said, I'm once again adding air bags to my F-250, which does the trick (but I have a 2WD and so will be closer to level to start with).

lwmcguir

With a Ford short bed and the HL 5th wheel series you can certainly jack knife your trailer and bend your spring hangers or axles any time you choose. Better try it on gravel, not pavement.