Fuel Tank Question?

ncc1701e

I've added a tool chest in front of the 5th wheel hitch to carry all those esentials one just can't live without. So this pretty much eliminated the ability to add an inbed tank. The truck is a 2012 SRW Crew Cab F250. I've notice a few who indicate larger primary tank than Ford offers. My question is: What brand of tank did you select as a tank? Where purchased? Install yourself or have it done? Is is a complete replacement or did you you have room to just add a second tank? I'm nearly positive looking underneath that just adding a second tank on the 2012 will not be an option with the DEF tank taking up a nice portion of the space on that side of the truck.

Urban350

I think Titan makes a larger fuel tank for your truck but it is not listed on their website, I would phone them.

camr

There are a few reports of Ford denying warranty claims on injection pump failures attributed to water in the fuel. The reports link the water problem to the failure of the seal on top of the Titan tanks allowing water into the system. From what I have been able to take away from these reports, the owners are either not seeing a "water in fuel warning", or are draining the separator immediately. Despite doing all that an owner can reasonably be expected to do, Ford is placing the blame on the truck owner, not the failure of of the fuel water separator to perform as should be reasonably expected. The repair cost for these pumps is in the ten thousand dollar range. Please check some of the Powerstroke forums for the experience of one of our forum members, Rickatic. On the other hand, there are many owners who have added the Titan tank and have had no issues with either the installation or tank performance.

What I would like you to take away from this post is that the installation of a non Ford item will give Ford free license to deny a legitimate warranty claim, even if the reason for denial is not legitimate.

brianharrison

I installed the Titan aftermarket fuel tank in my 2008 F350. One of the best mods I did to the truck. Here is a link to my install thread --> Link.

Take care,
Brian

pegmikef

I just added the Transfer Flo underbed fifty gallon tank. I was looking at the Titan, but my local Ford Dealer uses Transfer Flo because they don't affect the warranty. I had them install it. It is a replacement tank. I think the tank was a little or $800, $135 for shipping and around $200 for installation. I intentionally had Ford install it in case of any future warranty questions. The tank itself has a 36,000 mile, 3 year warranty. The fuel gauge works fine and the mpg reading is pretty close, but the miles to empty reading is skewed in as much as it doesn't go as high as the actual miles to empty would be, but to compensate, it goes down a lot slower (e.g., drive 200 miles at 12 mpg and it only dropped 100). Anyway, I really like it as with my little TT I can drive a day without having to stop.

PUG

Pug
I also had a new alum tool box in my truck and needed more fuel capacity. I had about 8 inches free area under the tool box. I purchased some alum cut to size and had a local welder weld it all up for me with baffles etc. I ran the fuel filler up through the bottom of the fuel tank, so I open the tool box and fill from there. I also welded bungs into the side of the tank for the fuel line and vent line. This all worked quite (yah right) well but still ended up costing me about as much purchasing a custom made one from a pro weld shop. If you surf around you will find tank makers that will make one for you that fits. I found a local welding shop that would have built one for me that I hate to admit would have been easier and less troublesome ( I won't go into my screw up details). The kit to run the fuel in can be found here. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200315501_200315501

brianharrison

I was looking at the Titan, but my local Ford Dealer uses Transfer Flo because they don't affect the warranty. I had them install it. ...... I intentionally had Ford install it in case of any future warranty questions.

Can you provide some additional discussion on why the Transfer Flow does not affect warranty vs the Titan? Or is it that the local Ford dealer installed it, and can assure proper installation thus not affecting warranty?

Thanks,
Brian

pegmikef

Can you provide some additional discussion on why the Transfer Flow does not affect warranty vs the Titan? Or is it that the local Ford dealer installed it, and can assure proper installation thus not affecting warranty?

Thanks,
Brian

I think it is more of a dealer thing rather than a tank thing. The way it went down is I first read about the Titan on this forum and went to the provided links. Apparently there was a big change in Fords in 2011 for the diesels (besides the new engine) and there aren't a lot of tanks out there. I went to the Ford dealer here and asked about the Titan tank and they told me they didn't do Titan, but did do Transfer Flo. I asked about the affect on the warranty, and they told me there is none. The warranty stands plus the separate warranty on the tank. The other thing they told me was that the Transfer Flo folks worked with Ford engineers when designing the tank (I am sure the Titan folks probably did as well). I have read that since the Transfer Flo is metal that it is heavier, yet the shipping weight of both the Titan and Transfer Flo is within ten pounds of each other (both a little over 800). Since Transfer Flo is metal you don't need the additional guard that is recommended for the Titan. All I wanted was the additional range and both products are fifty gallons. One thing is that I have been dealing with this dealer for fifteen years which certainly helps my rapport with the dealership. Our town car is a Ford Expedition. I can't speak for other Ford dealers, but I have absolute confidence in mine.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I bought the TransferFlow 75 gallon in bed tank. I also have a tool box in the bed. The fuel tank is right behind the cab and the tool box behind that. I have a 2010 F-350 Dually with 8 ft. bed I have a 20K Q5 Curt Hitch I have plenty of room behind the tool box to the hitch. There is also room for turning, I have turned probably 85 degrees.. The tool box and the fuel tank both are below or level with bed rails. The tool box came from Ranch Hand. Good luck on your installation.

ncc1701e

I bought the TransferFlow 75 gallon in bed tank. I also have a tool box in the bed. The fuel tank is right behind the cab and the tool box behind that. I have a 2010 F-350 Dually with 8 ft. bed I have a 20K Q5 Curt Hitch I have plenty of room behind the tool box to the hitch. There is also room for turning, I have turned probably 85 degrees.. The tool box and the fuel tank both are below or level with bed rails. The tool box came from Ranch Hand. Good luck on your installation.

The truck only has the 6-3/4 bed. There might be room for the tank, but sure looks tight. I'll check the dimensions from TransferFlow. I'm also wanting to talk with my Ford Dealer. I like the idea of one in body larger tank. Thanks.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
nc1701e - I had a F-250 with a short bed so I got a Tool Box/Tank from American Toolbox Tank. It worked great. I transferred it to my F350without any problems and it continues to do the job There is a 45 gal tank built under the tool box which is approximately 10" deep. It was a little more pricey than transfer tanks but I get fuel gauge readings on my normal dash mount gauge when I switch tanks.

Good luck - there are lots of opinions

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I also have the 45 Gal Combo Tank from American Tank . As Tom said I also have it connected into my OEM Gauge and I have a switch that will let me draw from either tank. I have not had any problems with the tank and would purchase it again. I have not traded trucks, but as Tom indicated they will help you get the tank into another truck.

If you want to do the installation your self they will ship it and give you all the intructions on how to install the tank, gages and fuel lines.

BC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have a 100 gallon tank and a Weather Guard tool box mounted over it. DSCF0199.jpgDSCF0199.jpg