Air Bags...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
What is the best brand to go with? Is it best to go with self leveling or just go with manual inflate?

I have the Firestone air bags with the Air Lift automatic/remote controller. They both work great. You can go with the manual but I like the ability to be able to adjust them 'on the fly' (while moving) and also not having to do it manually. With the Air Lift remote I can adjust each side to a different inflation while traveling down the road. It is simple to install as I installed them both by myself. The hardest part was running the air lines and that was east. Also with the remote controller I didn't have to run any air lines into the cab of the truck, all I needed was a 12 volt line for the power and was able to hook it to one of the upfitter switches that came with the truck. That allows me to flip the switch to turn the whole thing off if needed.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I got the Firestone air bags because at the time I got them that was all that was available for my truck. On my previous truck I had the Air Lift air bags and they both work great. BTW they both look the same. The Air Lift controller is compatible with the Firestone Air Bags.

Wmnmy

I also like having the compressor on board to top off my tires on truck and fifth wheel I usually spend three dollars every time I start my trips well worth it 60 psi in bags and I had to keep looking back to make sure it w as back there . I have the 2011 lariat power stroke with Firestone 5000 heavy duty air bags compressor makes a huge difference love this product .

ncc1701e

What is the best brand to go with? Is it best to go with self leveling or just go with manual inflate?

Forgot to mention, but right now if you buy both an on-board compressor system and the Airlift air bags there is a $100 rebate going on. It may be there again, but I know it is now. I've got to get my paper work sent in this week.

GOTTOYS

I went with the Firestone manual fill bags on my truck. I positioned the air fittings on the left rear of the inside of my box. I then installed a 10 pin plug for my trailer right above them. I have a small 12 volt compressor with an adapter that plugs into the 10 pin trailer plg. Simple to plug in and inflate right there. Not as nice as the onboard system but a lot less money and easier to install...Don

porthole

Retired
Firestone and AirLift both have their claims as to which is better. When I bought bags for the GMC I went with AirLift.
Mostly because of the attached PDF file.

I also used the AirLift wireless kit, which is a great addition, especially for my application. Just to get out of my driveway I had to dump all the air. Once out and heading down the street I pushed a button to a predetermined amount of air.

I have not decided yet if I will put air bags or some sort of air ride in the new truck. If it is bags only it will be an AirLift kit. Customer service is very good.

Attachments

• air_bag_VS_FIRESTONE.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 40

Wmnmy

Firestone markets their kit with the same mode # (5000)l as AirLift?
I thought so got a great price on amazon.com I was gonna put them on myself I put just the bags on the v-10 took me four hours so when I got the heavy duty bags and compressor I had 4wheel auto install them 300$ later I was a happy camper and I didn't have to drill or instal in the cab and screw Somthing up hahaha.......

lwmcguir

CP system works well on the coach. Smoothed out our ride and will probably last as long as the rubber bushings if not longer.