• Type: Soups
  • Category: Main Entree
  • Special:

Meta Data
=============================
  • Yield: 6-8 servings
  • Prep Time: 15 minutes
  • Ready in: 25 minutes
  • Difficulty: 1 ( 1 - Easy, 5 - Difficult )
  • Source: Online

Ingredients

• 1 onion , chopped
    1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
    3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 (32 ounce) bag frozen hash browns
    1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
    1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1 lb Velveeta cheese
    bacon bit (optional)

Preparation Instructions

Tips
Check before you add but I did add a little salt and pepper. I also used frozen onions. If you want more you can double the recipe.

Pitfalls
Do not cook over high temperatures. This is an easy and quick soup to begin with so just use moderate temps that will be enough to boil the broth plus hash browns when added. Do what the directions tell you and in that order.

Variation Ideas
The actually sauce you make could be used for other veggies. I am going to try cauliflower, etc. I think even mixed veggies would work. Just mixed all items but the hash browns..add what you would live. This is a quick prep so do not use fresh veggies unless you have a lot of time.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hum - that sound yummy. Might have to do a soup for the TN/KY Rally's Meet-n-Greet.

archbarb

I cheat with the soups even more....I buy the "dry" potato soup mix , follow the instructions, then add everything I have available....cheese, diced potatoes, broccoli, shredded carrots, onion, ham...just anything I like! It's usually very hearty and tasty...all the additions take away that powdered soup taste! Makes a great dinner with some hot baguettes and butter....yum! Good for those snowy, cold nights like you're having Byrd...we're just cold...forgot what snow looks like!!!!
Barb

bacaye

I was ok using frozen onions...I hate to cut up an onion and frozen hash brown. I decided it was pretty easy to open and dump that bag...You do not thaw them out before hand so this was my kind of soup. I fixed it last night for our dinner/supper and had plenty left over. We reheated today and it was even better!!! I am so happy. I finally fixed a veg soup and chili that I liked and now I can add the potato soup. Tomorrow's quest is going to be cabbage soup. This is an experiment because Bill likes cabbage so much. I put it in veg. soup and he eats it fried, boiled with butter or polish sausage!!! Anyone have any ideas on cabbage soup? You can not go wrong with this potato soup. It is absolutely delicious!!! It is a "you can't leave it alone type soup."..:D

jbeletti

Barbara,

This recipe sounds great! I will try it.

Like Bill - I also like cabbage. I've never made it, but my mom has a great cabbage casserole. She cuts a head of cabbage in 8ths, boils it for a couple minutes to slight soften, drains it and places it into a 9x12 baking dish. Then she pours a white sauce she makes up, over it. Then she adds a bunch of crushed up saltine crackers, dots with butter and bakes it. Yumo!

Jim