New here! need advice on 5th wheel

Babs7

Hey i am new to the RV world and we are looking to purchase our first RV... We have looked at a few different RV's and i am wondering if i am really getting a good deal on the one i am about to put a deposit on. Here is some info about it. They will sell it to us for Under $50,000 including tax. We are trying to decide between this or a 2010 Grand Junction, my parents have a GJ and they really like it. But from what i have read the Bighorn is supposed to be really good. Our plan for this 5th wheel is to live in it well our home is being built. this could be for a year or 2 at most. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2011 Heartland Bighorn 3610RE

Brand New Clearance Blowout Pricing! an unbelievable savings of $*****! (MSRP $82,451) This 2011 Bighorn 3610RE by Heartland features include:Godiva Interior Decor, Glazed Cherry Cabinetry & Fascia, Keyless Entry, Pillow Package, Fantastic Fan with Rain Sensor in Bedroom, High Gloss Exterior Sidewalls, Radius Slam Baggage Doors, Dometic Elite (2X2) 4 Door Refer (14 CU FT) with Ice Maker, 19 LCD Flat Screen TV in Bedroom, 40 LCD Flat Screen in Living Area, Dual Pane Window, Hydraulic Front Landing Gear, Power Cord Reel, Electric Fireplace and so much more.

• Sofa Bed
  • Central Vac
  • CD
  • Cable Hookup
  • Stereo
  • Microwave
  • Oven
  • TV Antenna
  • Ceiling Fans/Vents
  • Air Conditioner(Roof)
  • Aluminum Wheels
  • Skylight
  • Spare Tire
  • Stabilizer Jacks
  • Toilet
  • Furnace
  • LPG/CO2 Detectors
  • Electrical Hookup
  • King Bed
  • Awning
  • DSI Water Heater
  • Shower
  • DVD Player
  • Stove
  • Exterior Shower

Last edited by a moderator:

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
From my viewpoint, go for it. We have BH 3670RL and have lived in it 80% for last 1.5 years. Bighorn well constructed, good insulation, you will love living in it, but don't cram all your belongings in. Let us know what you decide.

JJOren

Hi Babs7:

Well, I think I better get in here while I can. In terms of the world you are describing, been there done that. Based on that experience, I HIGHLY recommend going with the Bighorn. The simple fact is that in the future, if you decide you don't want an RV in the driveway, you stand a MUCH better chance of getting your money back for your investment.

In many cases, used RV's just keep losing value at an alarming rate. We purchased a 2003 Crossroads Silverado to live in while our house was being built. Paid less than book value for it and in less than 2 years couldn't get our money out of it. Not a serious problem for us as we had committed to keeping it anyway and as long as you never sell it, you never have to worry about it...LOL

Long story short...we ended up losing the Crossroads to a fire. The previous owner had not kept up with the various recalls on it. It turned out to be one of the best fires we could have ever had! It got us out of a very poor financial position. Went from there to an Elkridge for two years and then traded it on our Landmark. When we traded the Elkridge, we actually got more on trade than we paid for it!!!!!

We are 'semi=full time' now and have learned a few valuable lessons. 1. Buy new...don't buy someone elses problems. 2. If you buy products with a proven market value, you'll be able to recover that value if you need to!

Go for the Bighorn!!!!!.......

Good Luck!

SGeohagan

We don't live in our 3610RE BH, but have put over 7100 miles on it since we purchased it mid April. Have had a few minor problems, which we fixed ourselves. We love our Big Horn.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Babs7, I don't think you'll see many votes for the Grand Junction here. We've been in our Bighorn 4 years full time and another 2 years for the winter. I couldn't be more pleased. I don't think you will be disappointed with the 3610RE.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I seem to recall that there's another member that's living full time in a Bighorn somewhere in British Columbia. Their "name" escapes me at the moment.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I seem to recall that there's another member that's living full time in a Bighorn somewhere in British Columbia. Their "name" escapes me at the moment.

I believe there is a couple (twohappycampers) full-timing in a Big Country just across the border near us! Perhaps they would be a good source of information.

Best Wishes!

Babs7

thanks everyone for the Advice, I'm pretty sure we are going to go with the Bighorn, sounds like it would be the right decision to make! If anyone else has any opinions feel free to let me know.

Westwind

My opinion for what it is worth is to stick with what will be paid for in warranty and you definately want the company to warranty the work. In the long run my feeling is you won't be sorry.

ChopperBill

We spend 5-6 months a year in ours. Couldnt be more pleased. I think the solidness of the roof and floor is probably the best. Looked and Jayco and Montana RE's and the Bighorn always came out on top. Big pantry, window in the kitchen, halogen lights etc. all added up.

danemayer

We spent around 6 months in our 2011 Landmark during our first year of ownership. Construction is about the same as the Bighorn but we have more standard features, and a few more options.

We're currently in Breckenridge, CO for an extended ski trip. We've been here about a month and it's been fairly mild this winter - lowest temp so far about -14F. We're very comfortable and actually managed in much colder weather here last winter (down to -30F). We've also been in the rig in 108 degree Moab, UT.

I recommend dual-pane windows and tank heaters. If the Yeti package is available, get it (came out too late for us).

kb0zke

Babs7, if you haven't purchased your new Bighorn yet, check the NADA pricing guides at nada.com and see what your coach is worth. Many lending institutions will only loan a percentage of the low NADA value.

Buying a left-over coach can save you quite a bit of money without costing you the warranty. On the other hand, you pretty much take the coach as it sits on the dealer's lot. Some things are fairly easy for the dealer to change (add or remove a washer/dryer) while others are more difficult (which translates into more expensive).

Our mpg was the current model year, so we didn't get much off. Since your Bighorn is a left-over, there should be a significant discount on the price. BTW, that "suggested manufacturer's retail price" is often a fictional number. The dealer should be able to show you a paper from the factory that has the number he is working from. Some dealers have been known to inflate the number in order to make a customer think he is getting a good deal. Buyer beware!

BTW, a Bighorn was what got us interested in Heartland in the first place. They really are nice!

Dave49

Almost two yrs full timing in our 2011 3610BH and not a problem one. Traveled around the country this summer and currently in FL for the remainder of the winter. Back to MI for the spring and summer. Believe you will be happy with the BH.

Dave

donr827

I am not a Bighorn owner yet but the list price of $82,000 sounds high to me for the options that you listed. Might ask the dealer to provide you with a copy of the price sheet that came with the trailer. Being a 2011 should give you a large discount since the 2013 should be coming out in a few months.
Don