At the risk of sounding like a newbie...question on propane tanks

Mike & Carol

2012-01-16 09.30.09-1-1.jpgWhich tank is valve pointing to, the tank on driver side or passenger/entry to rv side ? Told you it was a newbie question:eek:.
Do you run the tanks both at same time or one at a time?
Thanks,

wdk450

Mike and Carol:
This valve is entirely different than the one in my Bighorn.
The valve handle is supposed to point to the tank supplying the system EXCEPT when the RED indicator comes on indicating Automatic Tank Switchover. Then you should move the lever so that it is pointing to the tank NOW supplying the system, remove and refill the empty tank, reconnect it (and turn the tank valve ON), and the Red indicator should be off, and your system ready to make another tank switchover as the new supplying tank empties.

danemayer

I don't see a pointer in the picture you attached. But assuming there is one, look at the hoses attached to the regulator. One of them goes to the tank in front of you and the other goes to the tank on the other side. When the pointer is aimed at the hose going to the tank in front of you, that's the primary tank. When the pointer is aimed at the other hose, its tank is primary. As Bill said, when the tank you're pointed at is empty, the auto feature starts drawing from the other tank, assuming it has LP and that its valve is open.

It's convenient to keep both tank valves open and let the auto-changeover feature handle things for you. But if you don't pay attention, you'll find yourself with 2 empty tanks at 3AM on a cold morning.

If there's no pointer, you can figure it out by closing one of the tanks and lighting a burner on the range. If the burner goes out after a short time, your changeover valve is pointed at the closed tank. If it keeps burning, you're pointed at the open tank.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
The black plastic part (flat looking) on the top, looks to be pointing to the left to me. Mine is a little different. See if you can turn it to the right, to see it is is a lever. If it does move to the right, then put it back to the left. The green on the gauge below, is telling that both tanks are full. If it was red, that would mean the tank it is pointing to is empty, & the unit is pulling propane from the tank on the right. You can now, take the left tank and fill it up. You must have both valves on top of each tank turned on for the automatic transfer switch to work. Turn them on sloooowly for the the valve to work properly. Hopefully, all my info is correct. If wrong, somebody will chime in & correct my info. Good luck. Also fastest solution, if you are in campground, is go find a camper next to you and get some asap help.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mike, That looks like a new style valve. You have received all good replies though. Weather or not you leave both tanks open is your choice. I leave both open and check regularly. Actually I have a device on my regulator that notifies me inside the rig when a bottle goes empty. Sorry, but it won't work on your style regulator. CLICK HERE to see the older style regulator and notification device.

tljack

I have a 2013 Road Warrior 305 Toy Hauler. My propane switch over valve is on the curb side. When the red valve lever with an arrow on it is pointing toward the curbside bottle, interestingly the street side bottle goes empty first. I would have thought that the bottle the arrow was point toward would become empty first.........

Any ideas why this is?