Surge Protection

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Ray and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of good information here. This is a great forum.
As far as getting some surge protection, in a word...no doubt about it.
There are several on the market. The two that come to mind are Surge Guard and Progressive EMS.
Both come in either a portable model that you plug into the pedestal or a hardwired model.
My personal preference is the hardwired Progressive with remote pendant.
Do an online search for pricing and information on them.
Oh, and what model Bighorn did you get? Welcome to the Heartland Family.

Peace
Dave​

branson4020

Icantre Member
Yes, and not just a surge protector but a full energy management unit - one that protects against low voltage, wiring problems, dropped phase, etc. as well as power spikes, like the two brands already mentioned.

Don't try to save pennies here.
Pay the price and get a good hardwired unit.
I have the Progressive EMS Model # EMS-HW50C, rated at 240V/50A
This unit has shut me down during a few Electrical Storms, because of surges and low voltage conditions.
This unit also protects against any park electrical problems.
For the money you paid for you coach, this is very cheap insurance.
www.progressiveindustries.net

Hockster

PeternLiane

Our surge protector saved us in our SOB and will save us in our NT. I use a portable model that my Father-in-law gave to us. It has worked perfectly. I highly recommend one, but like in the other post don't short cut it, they do matter.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you do get a hardwired unit, you can install it yourself if you're somewhat handy with tools and wiring. While you're in the basement, you can move your converter to a more convenient location, as well. Best to move it to a spot that is not in danger of getting drenched should a leak occur in the plumbing.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When considering a surge guard consider this. No matter how good the park hookups are the park cannot control the electricity that is being delivered to them by their power company. From time to time this will be to low a voltage or a too high voltage. We have experienced both. Our Progressive EMS has saved us more that once.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Personal experience at a large reputable campground. Our SurgeGuard (hard wired) started cutting off electricity to our rig within 24 hours of setting up. The campground was notified, and their initial response from their technician was that the site pedestal was working OK. Since we were continuing to experience the surge guard shutting off electricity and then reconnecting, I demanded the campground send over a licensed electrician. He traced a problem to the electrical box that was servicing 10 sites, the breaker for my site was burned in the back due to arcing. The entire post in the box showed indication of excessive heat. My site neighbor in SOB Class A had a coffee pot "fry", and he showed 136V on his line meter. Shorten the story, we were both relocated to different sites. A telling remark overheard from the electrician speaking to the campground tech, "I told you we needed to replace this whole box last summer". So much for reputable campgrounds, and thank goodness for surge guard electrical protection.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We had the dealership install a Progressive system before we picked up our BC. Funny thing is that the system burned up before we even got the coach. The dealer exchanged it at no cost to us and said it was a first for them. The system measure both voltage and watts which I think is a must. It saved our coach a couple of times this summer from a low voltage problem coming into the campground. Could have burned up the ACs without us knowing about the low voltage. To answer your question - YES!!!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Just bought a 2012 BH, should i get a surge protection system?

ray

Short answer-YUP. Was in a cg 2 years ago at the Nashville rally along with many people who have posted in this thread. Y'all remember the whole string of sites that fried several microwaves and fridges? Open neutral if I remember right. The cg had just got back into operation from the flood that hit Nashville and the wiring was less than perfect.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Short answer-YUP. Was in a cg 2 years ago at the Nashville rally along with many people who have posted in this thread. Y'all remember the whole string of sites that fried several microwaves and fridges? Open neutral if I remember right. The cg had just got back into operation from the flood that hit Nashville and the wiring was less than perfect.

Sure do remember that one ,we were in the same row ,not very far from them. We now have the Progressive EMS hardwired in and was actually an easy install for the do it yourselfer.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Personal experience at a large reputable campground. Our SurgeGuard (hard wired) started cutting off electricity to our rig within 24 hours of setting up. The campground was notified, and their initial response from their technician was that the site pedestal was working OK. Since we were continuing to experience the surge guard shutting off electricity and then reconnecting, I demanded the campground send over a licensed electrician. He traced a problem to the electrical box that was servicing 10 sites, the breaker for my site was burned in the back due to arcing. The entire post in the box showed indication of excessive heat. My site neighbor in SOB Class A had a coffee pot "fry", and he showed 136V on his line meter. Shorten the story, we were both relocated to different sites. A telling remark overheard from the electrician speaking to the campground tech, "I told you we needed to replace this whole box last summer". So much for reputable campgrounds, and thank goodness for surge guard electrical protection.

I'm glad to hear that your SurgeGuard worked so well. Santa Clause brought me a Portable SurgeGuard unit for Christmas. It has always been in the back of my mind to get a surge-over/under protection unit and I finally got around to it. (well Santa did)

TedS

Got a question. Will a hard-wired 50-amp surge protector work properly if I connect my 50-amp power cord with an adapter to a 30-amp pedestal?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Not to hijack the thread, but... I ordered the Progresive hard wired 30 EMS with remote day before yesterday and received it yesterday, wow that was fast. I installed it today, was very simple. I love it, very cool. :cool: Now I have a good feeling of confidence about my trailer being protected. Thanks all for the advice!

Manzan

Bret, where did you install your surge protector? I have been thinking about getting one for our NT 21 FBS.