Golf Cart Advice

Texxags

This questions is for the guys that haul a Golf Cart in their Toy Hauler. Is it better to go with GAS or ELECTRIC? If Gas what is the best HP to stay above....If Electric what Voltage should I go with?

Speedy

I would say that gas would be the easiest to use and haul around.

Now see the thread "Golf Carts Unite"

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We don't have one but I have been to some parks that only allow electric ones. When we get one it will be electric. Don't want to have to worry about hauling around gasoline.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't have a golf cart but I have performed maintenance on them. I'm a fan of electric because they are quiet with no odor. Just keep the batteries watered and clean and use a good charging system. My preference is 48 volts.

caokgafamily

Texxags,

Welcome to the forum, electric is the way to go in my opinion. I own a 03 DS Club Car 48 volt and I have pulled it a couple of times behind my Bighorn. You need to go check out this golf cart forum: www.buggiesgonewild.com

Good luck,
Steve

lwmcguir

I like the 72 volt motors. We have had ours for 9 years and it still runs great. It is a GEM using Gel Batteries. Nothing wrong with any of them except the cost for new batteries.

laffman

I love my Yamaha G16 gas cart. Doesn't smell. Much lighter than a battery cart if you have to shift it around.

Attachments

• 100_0031.jpg
    100_0031.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 52

porthole

Retired
We have a 36Volt electric. Works good for us. At the time it was a fair deal, had never been on a golf course (corrosion issues) was red and came with a few options.
I thought it was going to need batteries 2 years ago and we are still using the batteries that came with it.

When the batteries finally need to be replaced I will consider making it a 48 volt cart.

As it is now the cart has enough power that I can get into the trailer with no problem, as long as I don't stop when at the steepest approach.

Gas carts are OK, but I prefer the electric. And as mentioned above, some parks don't allow gas carts. That said, some parks don't allow carts at all.
If you want to spend the money you can get a street legal cart and that will circumvent the no cart rule.

gpshemi

Ezgo ST Express Limo here. I wouldn't have it in electric. We drove the snot out of it nearly all summer on one tank of gas. The Cyclone has a fuel pump if I ever need gas. No expensive batteries to buy down the road. No chargers to screw around with. No range issues if you go off road at all. It's extremely quiet. Really no smell...assuming it's running right of course. I reset the factory governor and it'll run 30mph stock, but I tunes it back down to 25mph. That's plenty fast for a cart...

tgreening

Mines 48V electric and I like it that way. I have a gasser at home as well but to be honest I wouldn't use it. I go camping to relax, assume others do as well, and would consider myself rude to be tooling about the campground in a noisy cart. Even the "quiet" ones are noisy compared to electric. Worst offender I came across was at Disneys Fort Wilderness. Their rules on carts specifically state nothing excessively noisy, but that didn't stop one fella from showing up with his highly modified, twin exhaust, lifted to the sky hotrod of a golf cart. I swear to god it sounded like it had a small block V8 in it and it had those loud as snot performance mufflers. You could hear it coming a mile away. Great way to ruin what was an otherwise peaceful place. I suppose if you're boon docking or something gas might be a better way to go, but I figure if you're in a campground somewhere electric is quiet and any "range" issues are pretty much a non event. Disney is pretty dang big and I hauled around 4 people regular and never had a problem.

gpshemi

I agree other than a newer stock cart being noisey enough to bother someone. If it does they shouldn't be out in public. Our regular campground is full of gas and electric carts. Never gave it a thought. Those are the least of the noises that have bothered me while camping anyway. Glass packs on a cart might though I'll give you that much. Range is a none issue at a campground, but I don't limit my use to just campgrounds. Kind of an expensive toy for that.

truknutt

Committed Member
We have an 2004 EZ-GO TXT. Power comes from a 4-Cycle 24.5 cu in (401 cc) low-emissions gas engine. It has a Jake's 6" Spindle Lift, 22x11x10 Duro tires on 10" ThunderBull Polished Aluminum E-Series Wheels. We added a flip-flop rear seat and some bling & street glo neon. With its roof kit & the lift, it fits in the Cyclone's garage just clearing the overhead loft. It's quiet; in fact the laughter of the 4 riders is louder than the engine.

I chose the gas model mainly for the weight savings and the ease of maintenance: curb weights for gas = 780 lbs/electric=935 lbs. (from the EZ-GO site).

Attachments

• li'l beast4.jpg
    li'l beast4.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 69
  • li'l beast2.jpg
    li'l beast2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Cart Cyclone4.jpg
    Cart Cyclone4.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 67

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We have an 2004 EZ-GO TXT. Power comes from a 4-Cycle 24.5 cu in (401 cc) low-emissions gas engine. It has a Jake's 6" Spindle Lift, 22x11x10 Duro tires on 10" ThunderBull Polished Aluminum E-Series Wheels. We added a flip-flop rear seat and some bling & street glo neon. With its roof kit & the lift, it fits in the Cyclone's garage just clearing the overhead loft. It's quiet; in fact the laughter of the 4 riders is louder than the engine.

I chose the gas model mainly for the weight savings and the ease of maintenance: curb weights for gas = 780 lbs/electric=935 lbs. (from the EZ-GO site).

Dave.....nice pics. Can't wait to see green grass again.

ccupton

We have alot of fun with our 1996 EZ-GO golf cart. Most of the parks we have camped in DO NOT allow gas carts. Also there is NO gas smell in our coach. We store our cart in the 5er and didn't want the smell of gas in the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_8334.JPG
    IMG_8334.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8339.JPG
    IMG_8339.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8352.JPG
    IMG_8352.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 50

adam

We have the Club car - electric. It runs so quiet and again to repeat what others have mentioned - no gas in the garage where the kids play; for us thats important. Obviously speed and power are less with electric.
Our 08 Club Car has a aluminum frame compared to steel on some others - no rust. For electric carts they sell a quick fill tube system that allows you to dispense distilled water directly into the batteries without removing the caps & it stops filling when the electrolyte level is correct - great mod. if you go electric.

Attachments

• IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 37

laffman

That said, some parks don't allow carts at all.
If you want to spend the money you can get a street legal cart and that will circumvent the no cart rule.

No it doesn't. No carts means no carts, street legal or not. Our park we have a seasonal site at does not allow UTV's to be driven around the park as golf carts. My Polaris RZR is street legal so I can drive it to the sand dunes instead of trailering it. I was told I could drive it between my site and the park entrance. But I'm not allowed to drive it anywhere else in the park. They don't care it's titled and plated as a street vehicle, it's their park and their rules. You don't like you can go somewhere else. But I don't have a problem with this, I have golf cart too. Who needs a 70 mph golf cart in a park anyway.

gpshemi

I can see both versions as ideal for different folks for different reasons. This pig is gas and fits the whole family and then some.
M10039.1.jpgM10039.2 (Large).jpg