RV Loans

Texxags

What company has the best rate to go with? I'm only wanting to finance around 35k-40k, Any recommendations?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I am far from a tax expert but I don't believe it has to be a Home Equity Loan in order to qualify for a deduction. Worth checking into regardless! HERE is a start. As far as lender rates go, try letting your RV dealer work for you. When we set up a purchase package, the dealer had three or four different lenders available we simply went with the lowest one!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I have our new coach with our local credit union at 1.74% for 36 months. That's pretty good.

GOTTOYS

Do it with a home equity loan then you can deduct the interest or claim it as a second home.[/QUOTE
The interest on any loan for an RV should be tax deductible. Doesn't have to be a Home Equity loan. I believe it's considered a second home if it has a kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. Check with your taxman to be sure. Usual disclaimers apply, your actual mileage may vary...Credit Unions generally have very good rates. Don't fall for the old 15 year mortgage trap. It will take about 13 years before you have any equity in it. They depreciate pretty fast and if you ever need to bail out you sure don't want to be upside down on a loan...Don

DMitch

Another thing about dealers arrangeing financeing. They very often tack on a percentage for themselves and get a piece of the interest for themselves.

frumbawa

Came down to either Costco (Essex Bank?) or Bank of the West for us. Went with Bank of the West. I forget the rate off the top of my head but both were better than our credit union.

Texxags

texxags ,I hope that you are not a fulltimer yet.
Not sure what you mean by full timer. I'm buying this for my young family. We have a small travel trailer currently. We are upgrading so my kiddos can bring friends along. We can't wait as a family.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not sure what you mean by full timer. I'm buying this for my young family. We have a small travel trailer currently. We are upgrading so my kiddos can bring friends along. We can't wait as a family.

Full-timer is someone that lives in their trailer "full time," meaning they don't have a stationary home to go to. They live the nomadic lifestyle, wandering from place to place, usually following warmer climates cuz their old bones can't take a chill anymore ;).

71stang99

Bank of the West holds my note, they beat my creit union and the credit union has good rates for autos.

You should not have to pay for a RV with a 2nd (to write off the interest) unless the rules have changed, in the past I was told that you had to have a primary (stick built) home to be able to write off an RV or boat (which I did with a TT and a 2nd). If anyone knows if you can just write off the RV without a stick built home please let me know as I will be 'full timing' it when not on corporate paid travel.

cooknsharry

Well I will find out myself this year, everyone says I can write off the interest on my new bighorn! not sure where to do it on turbo do not see any drop boxes for it?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's in TurboTax. I use it every year. Just follow the questions when filling out the return. If the loan company sends you a Form 1098, just include it with your home mortgage interest on line 10, Schedule A. No Form 1098, put it on line 11. It's in the Interest You Paid section, although the line numbers may change from year to year.