Plastic vent covers

fawsty

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here knows how to replace the plastic cover on the vent in the bathroom? I noticed that mine was cracked and broken, so I covered it with plastic wrap until I could get to it. Do I have to remove the whole unit, or can I detach the cover itself and secure a new one?

Thanks for the information people get here, it' great having a source such as this.

Steven

RuralPastor

Most Rv suppliers have replacements available Steven. Several are universal fit. Might be a good time to install a vent cover (i.e. Max-Air II, etc). Be safe on the roof! Mark

pegmikef

Do I have to remove the whole unit, or can I detach the cover itself and secure a new one?

Yeah, you can just detatch the cover itself (I think there is like four real short screws). You might want to take it with you when you get a new one, there might be a couple of different ones like my local dealers have. If I remember right they are about twenty bucks.

olcoon

Like has been said, you need to know what kind (style) you have. I had to replace both of ours after a hail storm last summer. Went to Camping World, and they told me there were about 5 different types. I was lucky & grabbed the right ones. They are fairly simple to change, mine had directions in the box. I had to take the screen off from the inside to replace them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Definitely worth putting the MaxxAir covers on all roof vents, including the Fantastic Fan. Allows you to leave them open during rainy days and they're sturdier than the thin plastic vent lids.

fawsty

Ok, thank you all for the replies. I'll have time this weekend to take care of it, provided it doesn't rain here in sunny california.....

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Fawsty,
there are 5 different hinge types and you just have to know what hinge you have. There is a crimp end style, a "c" channel, two all plastic hinges, a piano type hinge and a solid tube type. Undo the riser bar, slide the hinge off sideways and reverse the process to reinstall. Any RV store should have them. I'd also go with the rest of them and recommend the vent covers.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It can be done from the inside by removing the vent door handle and the screen. You need to know the hinge style to get the correct one. A vent cover is really a must so the new cover wont rot away again. That you will have to do on the roof. It suppose to rain on Saturday now....so they say.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Check out the new Ultra Breeze vent covers for Fantastic Vent fans. This product is made by Fantastic Vent. Saw a demo of it at Louisville. Huge difference when using this, versus other brands of covers, on the Fantastic Vent fans.

Link: http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/ultrabreeze.html

View attachment 17483
These guys were supposed to be at the Tampa Show but I never did see their booth. We only had the opportunity to walk one supplier building before Lin started feeling bad and we had to leave. I'll be checking for these on line.