Reciever hitch on back of Sundance

Sundance_kid

I have a 2008 3300SK, has anyone placed a reciever hitch on the back of their Sundance to pull an ATV and small utility trailer?

nhunter

The factory will not instruct, aprrove or have anything to do with adding a rear hitch. They will recomend that you see your dealer. On that note if you use the search tab at the top off the page and look up rear hitches or bike racks you will find a wealth on info.

fishn2dmax

A similar question was recently addressed in another thread by Heartland. Basically, they can not endorse any modifications to the Lippert frame. However, it was interesting to note, they did say the Lippert frame they use on their trailers are very strong and in theory should support a hitch.

A number of 5th wheel makers are now beginning to offer 2" class II or III recevier hitches (e.g, Crossroads, Keystone). These are intended for a bike cylce carrier or a very small trailer under 2000 lbs with a hitch weight under 300lbs.

I have double pulled for the last ten years and plan to do so with my new Sundance. The key is not to pull anything that is too heavy, or too long. To be safe, the 5'er rear hitch must be rated for at least twice the weight of what it will pull. I pull a 18' aluminum boat or two, 4 wheelers on a small trailer. Based on my experience, the key is not going too fast ( especially down hill); keep the total weight of the rear trailer to less than 1/3 of the 5'er weight and make sure the rear trailer has brakes.

ChopperBill

SK, I have a very light weight Triton aluminum trailer and two ATVs that I pull behind mine. Had it professionally welded on by the dealers recommended source. Your frame should not be much different than mine. Like nhunters says the factory will not really recommend doing it but never does say it is a must not. That would scare away lots of potential customers seeing how some manufactures offer a hitch as and option.

nhunter

I forgot to mention Heartland uses a 12" frame were as lots of competition use a 10" frame.

Sundance_kid

Thanks for the quick replys, I pulled doubles with the challenger and plan to with the Sundance which seems to be a better planned out trailer.

Forrest Fetherolf

nhunter said:
I forgot to mention Heartland uses a 12" frame were as lots of competition use a 10" frame.

I just finished the repairs on my 3600RL yesterday as a result of the TA tire explosion. The I-beam frame is 10", not 12".

Forrest

Sundance_kid

!0" is right on the frame, have yet to tear into the wiring aspect of this venture, but will let you all know what I find.

fishn2dmax

Sundance Kid,

Please let us know what you find on the wiring and hitch install. I will be doing the same in a few weeks, so anything you learn and share would be much appreciated.:)

Sundance_kid

fishn2dmax,

I bought a reciever hitch from jc whitney, 47" to 71" expandable ($229 + shipping). It bolted right up to the rear bumper bracket. I'll have to get it down to a welder to beef up the bracket, but was a simple install. Gota love the toys. 06 Rhino.

newman

Sundance Kid, a Rhino is exactly what I am trying to haul. How do you think it is going to affect the way the trailer pulls with the weight of the rhino offsetting pin weight? That is my main concern, mainly because I wan't to use the swivel wheel trailer.

Sundance_kid

NEWMAN,

I've pulled my Rhino behind our 29' Challenger (pin weight 2450 dry) on a single axle utitility trailer 14'. The Rhino is 1078# dry I never checked the hitch weight on the utility trailer, but would estimate it between 300-400#. I never felt anything from the trailer while towing and no swaying at all. The only thing I'm going to do is put brakes on the utility trailer to help the down hill push. I'm not sure but I think the trailer your looking at is rated up to 1100#. Our Rhino has the 4 seat setup with a full rollcage witch hits about 1150#. Look at it as a teeter/touhter you on one side and an elephant on the other.
Good luck

Last edited:

salmon919

I just added a class III hitch to my 2006 sundance 2900MK. I took it to a trailer maker in centeral ohio and they did a great job. $350.00 including wiring. They made the hitch from scratch so it would be tucked under the factory under covering. I tripled towed with my Cougar before my sundance and no problem. You just need to remember it is legal in some states and some states not. Here in Ohio it is 65'

zsa-zsa

sundance kid
I would check those springs..None My 29rk only had 2600 lb ,, And they broke.. I now have 3000 lb and new axels.. People have had problems with springs and axeles such as myself, sure would hate to be towing and have axele come tearing out..

fishn2dmax

I upgraded to the optional 6000lb axles and 16" wheels to address the concerns with stressing the 5th wheel axles while double towing.

Sundance_kid

zsa-zsa thanks for the heads up on the axles. fishn2dmax & NEWMAN, the hitch is on and wiring is complete. The only place I could access the turn, brake and tail lights were 1' in front of the trailer entrance door. They are in a large wire loom on the inside of the frame. I took the membrain loose and made 2 cuts toward the belly about 12" long fold back and there it was. I can tell you this trailer is finished off a whole lot better than my Challenger was. All wiring is in wire looms and Keystone never heard of the stuff. I also have the 6,000# axles under my Sundance. Good luck with your projects. By the way the the welder said that factory did a fairly decent job as to some he had seen, just a few additional welds to beef it up.

Sundance_kid

fishn2dmax & newman, how is the hitch install going? Will take a shake down cruse this weekend, but won't take the Rhino on the trailer. Will head for the coast 7/4 for a long weekend, will pull it then and let you guys known how it went.