50...30...and 15 amp question

Sandie

Being we have never owned a 50 amp unit I have a question about using all these adaptors. Can I still keep and use my 30amp extension cord with the proper adaptor when 50 amp is not available? Also when plugging in at home (15 amp) to cool the frig before a trip. I need to use the extension cord with this...Can I use both the 50 to 30 adaptor along with the 30 to 15 amp without any issues? If not how would I do it. Can't seem to find a 50 to 15 amp adaptor anywhere. Thank you....:confused:

wdk450

Sandie:
The answers to all your questions is YES! And, I know of no direct 50 amp to 15 amp adapters. I do everything on my rig as you say. I use the 50 amp cord, a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter all connected together when i plug in my trailer in storage to charge the batteries pre-trip.

Being we have never owned a 50 amp unit I have a question about using all these adaptors. Can I still keep and use my 30amp extension cord with the proper adaptor when 50 amp is not available? Also when plugging in at home (15 amp) to cool the frig before a trip. I need to use the extension cord with this...Can I use both the 50 to 30 adaptor along with the 30 to 15 amp without any issues? If not how would I do it. Can't seem to find a 50 to 15 amp adaptor anywhere. Thank you....:confused:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

For your first question, yes, you can use the 50A cord with a 50/30 adapter and run on a 30A pedestal. If you have two air conditioners, you will only be able to run one at a time, however. Adapting the 30A cord down to a 15A outlet to cool the refer, I believe that's possible, as well, even though I've not done it. Some folks just plug the refer into a standard extension cord (rated for 15A) at home and do it that way. You'll find the plug for the refer inside the grating on the outside wall.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I do have a 50 amp to 15/20 amp adapter. I can't tell you where I got it but it is made by Midwest in Mankato, MN.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have plugged out Horn in this way for 4 years now with no problems. In fact its plugged in all the time it sits. Keeps the battery up and we can use the A/C if we need to.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We are plugged in 50 to 30 to 15. Keeps the battery charged thru the winter and we can run the furnace when working on the RV in the winter without running down the battery.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We also have dropped to 15 when at home getting ready to go or doing work on our unit. I have also done this on any other unit I have had with no problems.

traveler44

I bought a 30 amp box at a home improvement store and the heavy wiring needed to run to the breaker box inside the house. I made this a dedicated circuit and used a 30 amp breaker for it. I bought a 30 amp cord that has the 50 amp Marinco male that plugs into the 5er. I use 30 amp TRC Surge Guard at home as well as in the rv parks. This surge guard will read the current coming from the source and won't click on until it is right. I have never had a problem with the power coming in but I have used too many amps at a time and tripped the breaker at the rv park post. I don't know how many amps a fridge and a converter take but if I were using a 15 amp extension cord I would check it to make sure it doesn't get hot.

Birchwood

You have to go 50>30 >15 and you will be fine .Do it all the time with our Landmark
for the bare necessities.I have never seen a 50>15 adapter.

Owenfamily

If you ever want to buy an RV box for your house go to Graniger and you can order a 50/20 amp box from them. GE makes them. GE also makes them for midwest. Midwest just puts their name on the box. Same thing if that makes sense. I had a 30 amp box when I had my old unit and upgraded it when I got my new unit. This way if family or friends want to come stay with us they can have their own space and quiet time.

porthole

Retired
Buy a 12 gauge extension cord the length you need for the house. Buy a 50 amp female end from either a camp supply or the big box store (our Home Depot carries them).

You jump the 2 hots in the 50 amp connector and all your circuits will be powered in the trailer with a light weight easy to store cord.

Last edited:

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
If you ever want to buy an RV box for your house go to Graniger and you can order a 50/20 amp box from them. GE makes them. GE also makes them for midwest. Midwest just puts their name on the box. Same thing if that makes sense. I had a 30 amp box when I had my old unit and upgraded it when I got my new unit. This way if family or friends want to come stay with us they can have their own space and quiet time.

I purchased mine from Lowes for around $30.00. I think it's a Cuttler-Hammer.