Slideout Awnings

cewing

order a new 3800 2012.5 what about slider awnings (yes or no) ???? The dealer said if wanted need only 2 ??? It has 3 slides he said doorside cant be done because of the taller slide??

brianharrison

I recommend the slide topper awnings. It helps keep debris off the top of the slide. I have them on all 3 slides of my unit.

I cannot comment on the 3800 apparent "taller" slide, but if there is a drip rail already on the side of the main coach above this taller slide, one should be able to install the awning topper as well. The drip rail may already have the track that the slide topper fabric slides into already there. Someone with a 3800 and toppers will probably chime in here.

Take care,
Brian

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Some folks complain about the noise of them flapping in the breeze. Having seen some at the Goshen rally, I'd say it was due to poor workmanship on the installation and they drooped terribly (even the small ones). I've got them on all four slides and would not be without them. Don't have to get up on the roof to clear debris/birdy doo and if the slide is slightly off level, no worries about water collecting on the seal and finding a way in.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not a necessity but if money isn't an issue, go for them. If I ever buy another trailer they will be included. If for nothing else than to keep the slide roofs clean.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Have you ever had to clear snow/ice off slides? IMG_4638.jpgWell, what about leaves, branches or pine needles? acorns? Those crazy little pollen pods? If it's windy, chances are you will get debris on top of the slides. I will have the toppers on my next rig. ;)

archbarb

We have them on our unit, and have never noticed any wind flapping noise, but we live in SE Georgia and not the mid-west. I do believe it helps deflect the sun (heat) from entering through the slide top and like others have posted debris collecting on the slide top!!!!!

Archie

Tool958

We have them on our unit, and have never noticed any wind flapping noise, but we live in SE Georgia and not the mid-west. I do believe it helps deflect the sun (heat) from entering through the slide top and like others have posted debris collecting on the slide top!!!!!

Archie
Our last SOB camper didn't have a slide topper on the slide. We had a couple of times where water worked in around the seal on the slide. Also, it collected debris on top. This in turn was dragged in on top inside the camper. Our Cyclone has them on both slides. That was one thing I made sure this camper had. The biggest thing I noticed is the slide and coach is cooler in the summer due to the sun not beating down on the top where there is very little insulation.

Crumgater

We added toppers after we ended up with wet carpets in our first season (here in the Seattle area, we saw some good rains in 2010). The toppers have stopped the rain flowing around the slide and into the rig. We also went through some stormy nights over Christmas with 35+ mph winds. The topppers did NOT flap (not bad for installing them ourselves!) - but the slide itself squeeked (we're surmising via the rubber seal), which was a bit distracting. I think the toppers also help with keeping things cool in the sunny summers (which we see when we go east of the mountains over here).

Result: I highly recommend getting slide toppers!

Brandon.Prewitt

I recommend them for all the reasons noted, but I am in the panhandle of Texas where it is very windy. The awnings pop in the wind and shake the slides. This also shakes the camper. I have had mine for 7 months and the North side slide awning is ripped about 1" on each side.

What do you use to keep them from popping?

Bout 40 mile winds right now. I am in a trailer at work that if it weren't tied down I wouldn't be in it.

My camper isn't tied down though . . . . and my wife is in it.

hughd03

new to heartland but previous fifth had toppers on all 4 slides. live in
fl and we have some pretty severe thunderstorms and they have never given me an issue. big difference from sun on slide with and without. worth the money

Birchwood

The only two reasons why you wouldn't order them would be extra cost and wind noise.I find coaches without
them look unfinished and are suseptible to debris damage ,water and heat intrusion.Only when we are home in Canada
we get wind noise when storms blow through but in the south its not an issue.

danemayer

Our slide awnings do get noisy when it's very windy. We've recently had a couple of nights where winds gusted between 50 and 100 MPH. I use plastic baskets (similar to this, but from the Dollar Store) tied together with string. They're spaced at about 18" with the string hanging out about 2 feet on each end. I push them in under the awning using a broom handle or similar tool (a ski pole works really well), then use the string to pull back and space them out. The string on each end allows for pulling them out, and if it's really windy, can be tied to the awning mount. The ski pole lets me push or pull. I also started placing a rock inside the basket on each end to make it less likely that the really high velocity wind gusts would move the baskets.

The baskets nest, taking up a very small space when traveling. I have 14 spread across all 3 slides, primarily for snow support, but also for noise reduction. If nothing else, I would put 3 baskets under the bedroom awning to get rid of the noise closest to where you sleep.

adam

We had slide toppers put on our 3800 - all 3. No fit isses with the "tall" slide and the drip rail.

convert

Reginald Hromek
We have a 2011 Big Horn 3610RE, have alide toppers on all four. Ar preently in RGV and the wind does not let up for long. There is minimal noise from the toppers in the wind. My primary reason for having them installed when the rig was ordered was 2 fold, first was the debris issue but most importantly from experience was to keep the hot southern sun from heating up the rig. There is a considerable difference in inside temp wiyh the toppers. They block the sun heat and allow an air flow on top of the slide to keep it much cooler. woldn't be without, well worth the cost. Good luck on your decision