Yeti option on Mesa

terryt

I have narrowed my search down to the Landmark Mesa model. The dealer informs me that the standard Landmark will effectively handle temps to zero. I do not plan on RVing in temps lower than zero, but I like the idea of having extra low temp protection, that will also allow me to save on utility cost whether in hot or cold temps.
Does anyone have any knowledge / experience pertaining to the "Yeti package"?

jimtoo

Hi terryt,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I have heard nothing but good reports about the Yeti package, but cannot confirm anything myself. I'm sure some of our other family members that have a unit with the yeti package will jump in soon with their opinion.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
TerryT,

The rig may be comfortable down to 0 degrees inside, but that doesn't mean pipes won't freeze. The heated and enclosed underbelly that is standard on HL rigs is only good if the furnace is running. If you have the extra $, add the Yeti package when you buy, rather than discover later that you need it. We just spent a month (DIY) and a good bit of change to add features of the Yeti package to our ElkRidge. We use it to go camping in freezing temps, so we can SKI!

brianharrison

Yeti package adds 110V pad heaters on the holding tanks and a larger R value in the end caps. I have it and have switched on the tank heaters a couple of times when it was sustained freezing temps outside.

I see on the heartland site the newer Yeti package also adds a heated main water line (yea to HL for listening). Link to Full Time Landmark Press Release.

Take care,

Brian

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We have a Mesa with the Yeti package. have only been out a few days with temps in the lower 20s but I really do think the package makes a difference especially in the caps. If it was colder, I am sure the heated tanks would have been a help. I did have the switch on just for fun but I think it was not cold enough at the lower 20s that the heated underbelly needed any help to keep the tanks from freezing.

Get the package! Anything you can do to for more insulation is a plus. Don't forget, the package also has the Refletix (bubble foil) on the floor slides (how effective I really don't know) but also in the caps which I can really tell a difference. Our other trailer did not have this and the front closet and rear wall of the really transferred a lot of heat-both into and out of the coach.

danemayer

We've been in Breckenridge, CO for a month in our Rushmore and were here for 5 weeks last winter when it was -10 to -20 almost every night. We have tank heating pads, but learned that in very cold temps (below -15), the furnace needs to run almost continuously to pump enough heat into the underbelly to keep the water lines from freezing. If we had the Yeti package, with heat tape on the water lines, I'm sure we could set the thermostat lower and save on propane. I'm also sure the extra insulation would be helpful.

I understand you don't plan to be out in temps like we've described, but the same principles apply at 15 degrees.

Get dual pane windows too.

terryt

Thank all of you for the VALUABLE information pertaining to the Yeti package. The comments confirmed my inner GUT feelings. Thanks again....Terry T;)

Question about Tank pads on the Yeti package. It says can turn on with a single switch in the book. What if you do not have anything in the fresh water tank. If you only have water in Grey and Black tanks... Will it cause problems with no water in the fresh tank and the heating pad turned on?
Reason I ask is that we are looking at LM Grand Canyon and about to order.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If they are the UltraHeat system, it does recommend having something in the tanks/pipes before use. See this link:

danemayer

Will it cause problems with no water in the fresh tank and the heating pad turned on?

I kept the tank heating pads on for both of our Colorado trips - 5 weeks and 6 weeks. I also let the gray tanks drain continuously into the sewer, so they were always empty. I've not noticed any problems.