Half my breakers will not energize.

Lifter141

I hit the main breaker with the multimeter and sure enough, I get 121 out of the red hot and a big 0 out of the black hot. Across both I am still only getting 121. I checked the shore power (good). So, somewhere between the shore power and the panel there is a problem. My hope is perhaps the power cord but if it is anything else I simply do not know how they run the electrical on these RVs. I would hate to have to pull off all that corrugated plastic just to try and track this down...any ideas of where to start? Thank you.

Big Country 3650 RL 2011

jimtoo

Hi Lifter141,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Is this the first time you have used the trailer, is it new, used? Has it worked OK before? Are you using any adapters? If it worked OK before and no adapters then
I would start by checking the power cord where it plugs into your unit, if OK then easy to remove the plug in the trailer and check backside, if OK,, you will just need to start tracing.

I'm sure some of our other family members will jump in soon with more ideas also.

Let us know what you find.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If not the power cord, then try the plug on the outside of the trailer. Make sure all wires are secure. From the plug to the breaker panel, there isn't anything other than the wires between them. In a 50A rig, they're 6-gage and not likely to flex and break.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you have checked the circuits at the pole, just start there and check the other end of the line that hooks up to the trailer. If that is good then go to the next location and just follow the route to the power panel in side.

jnbhobe

If you are useing a 30 amp cord there is a jumper in the yellow plug that could have come loose. Thats all I can think of other than what Jim and John have said.

danemayer

If you BC has the generator prep option, I think power from the post goes through a switch box, probably behind the basement wall.

Lifter141

Solved!!

I guess I did not check both sides of the shore power correctly. 123.5 out of one 0 out of the other. Had the office swap out a new breaker..Ta-da! Power restored. Please invest in a multi-meter as this was extremely helpful in tracking down this simple problem (and learn to use it correctly :p) Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions.