Measurments of a Grand Canyon

FordMan1966

I am working with 2 different dealers on finalizing a dal on ordering me a 2012 Landmark Grand Canyon. My question is:
1. My driveway is steep and I need to know the distance from the rear tire where it meets the road on the back to the rear of the 5th wheel at the frame and the distance from the ground to the bottom of the frame.
Thanks in Advance.
David

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Glad to see you made it Fordman1966. Several people here with a Grand Canyon can help you with this.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I don't have the measurements because my Grand Canyon is at my son's house, 20 miles away. However, his driveway is steep and narrow and I have never had any issues coming in or out of it. I would think that given the placement of the spare, you'd be more likely to drag the bottom of the rear cap before the spare tire would hit. It will, unfortunately, be several days before I back at my son's house to look at actual distances.

DougS

Doug S
FordMan1966,
Not sure of your request, but on my 2011, which I believe is the same as 2012.

Axle (center of rear wheel) to to back rail of chassis is 11' 6".
Wheel is 30" in diameter.
Height to chassis rail at back to gound is 26".
Height to bottom of brackets for bic rack to ground is 22" even with end of chassis rail.
My spare tire would be different, I have modified with storage boxes.

Hope this helps.

FordMan1966

Thanks for your measurement. i went out and measured the current 5th wheel and I am currently at 131" from the center of the wheel as you measured and I am 19" from the ground to the bottom of my frame. So the Grand Canyon will work only being 7" longer and it is 7" taller clearance.
Thanks Again.
David

FordMan1966,
Not sure of your request, but on my 2011, which I believe is the same as 2012.

Axle (center of rear wheel) to to back rail of chassis is 11' 6".
Wheel is 30" in diameter.
Height to chassis rail at back to gound is 26".
Height to bottom of brackets for bic rack to ground is 22" even with end of chassis rail.
My spare tire would be different, I have modified with storage boxes.

Hope this helps.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thinking back on the 2 coaches we have had in the past, there was a difference in ground clearance. We never really measured the difference but the Big Country 3250 on 6000 lbs axles was lower to the ground than our current BC 3650 on 7000 lbs. Our driveway also is pretty steep at the beginning. The 3250 only had about 2" clearance but the 3650 seems to have double the clearance. We don't even have a spotter watching anymore as we leave.

We helped a dealership at the local RV show a couple of weeks ago working with 2 Landmarks coaches. Now I know why so many were measuring/checking the clearance under each coach.

FordMan1966

I was at the show in Sevierville that you are talking about and I measured both Landmarks and the front living room Big Horn that was at the Show.

Thinking back on the 2 coaches we have had in the past, there was a difference in ground clearance. We never really measured the difference but the Big Country 3250 on 6000 lbs axles was lower to the ground than our current BC 3650 on 7000 lbs. Our driveway also is pretty steep at the beginning. The 3250 only had about 2" clearance but the 3650 seems to have double the clearance. We don't even have a spotter watching anymore as we leave.

We helped a dealership at the local RV show a couple of weeks ago working with 2 Landmarks coaches. Now I know why so many were measuring/checking the clearance under each coach.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Well foots FordMan - we must have spoken with you during the show. We had the Heartland Owner Club banner set-up between the Mesa and Key Largo. I was wearing a red Heartland shirt and Nathan was wearing a Black Heartland shirt. Hope to meet you soon.

FordMan1966

Northgate RV who I have traded with before is pricing a Landmark Grand Canyon and hopefully by the end of the week they will have a price from Heartland on a new Bighorn 3010RE floor plan and we are interested in both of these RVS in Half Body Paint. RVSFORLESS are pricing these as well for me. I remember seeing your booth at the show.

Well foots FordMan - we must have spoken with you during the show. We had the Heartland Owner Club banner set-up between the Mesa and Key Largo. I was wearing a red Heartland shirt and Nathan was wearing a Black Heartland shirt. Hope to meet you soon.