Continued problem with Sealand toilet (Sealand 210)

wingfoot

This has been an ongoing problem since we purchased the 5r in August 2011.

Thus far I have replaced the bowl seal twice, once by the dealer and once by me. I just took the toilet apart and cleaned the thirty day old seal..not dirty. Coated the seal with Plumber's silicon paste..Still leaked. Sprayed the seal/ball with non-stick food spray...Still leaks down..not slowly...you can actually watch the water level go down..I called Sealand, they suggested I not use Silicone paste, (attracts debris ) spray with non-stick food spray...been there done that.

I am totally at a loss..there is nothing else I can think of to do...
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...I am almost ready to replace the toilet with another brand..the kind that do not leak..

Larry

DougS

Doug S
I have a Dometic 310 ceramic bowl. My paperwork came with a slip of paper that stated if toilet leaks past the seal, empty water from bowl, with foot on pedal, push down on seal (rubber gloves of cause). Then release pedal, pour hot tap water in bowl and let it sit till cool. I have tried it and it helps, but not total fix, usually lasts a week or so. Then all of a sudden, the leak stopped just before I was going to replace the seal. I have never used any lubricant other then soapy water. Not sure if this method would work on yours.

Bobby A

This has been an ongoing problem since we purchased the 5r in August 2011.

Thus far I have replaced the bowl seal twice, once by the dealer and once by me. I just took the toilet apart and cleaned the thirty day old seal..not dirty. Coated the seal with Plumber's silicon paste..Still leaked. Sprayed the seal/ball with non-stick food spray...Still leaks down..not slowly...you can actually watch the water level go down..I called Sealand, they suggested I not use Silicone paste, (attracts debris ) spray with non-stick food spray...been there done that.

I am totally at a loss..there is nothing else I can think of to do...
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...I am almost ready to replace the toilet with another brand..the kind that do not leak..

Larry

I would assume your having trouble keeping water in the bowl ??? I have the same toilet and never have had a problem. Every now and then water will seap out its because debris is caught. I will fill up the bowl completely and pour a little bleach in it and let it sit and then use a toilet brush to clean the seal. We always fill the bowl up 1/2 way when going #2. We use the dump flush wipe flush method useing plently of water that is key. I know its a little TMI but just trying to help. Good luck. Ours did come with some kind of tool like a nail file with like a sand paper substance on the end to clean the seal, but I have never had to use it.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Larry, I don't know but I think the orientation of the seal might have an effect. I replaced our seal last summer and currently have to clean and lube about every 2 to 3 weeks. With the water on and flowing I use a SPARE toothbrush to clean everything I can reach. I then make sure there are no calcium build ups or irregular surface areas on the ball surface. Then, I shut off the water and get out the Vaseline. I attempt to pack it under the seals edge and around the ball where it contacts the seal. This seems to work. The smallest piece of TP stuck under the seals lip will give you problems. (Capillary action):rolleyes: I have to stress to Lin to flush for at least 4 to 5 seconds to make sure all the paper goes down before letting up on her foot.

I know, you've been through all this but so far it's working for me. I threaten to buy a new crapper about monthly. I'm not sure that it would help. Maybe a different brand of toilet? Good Luck!

wingfoot

Thanks guys...and yes Bobby, my problem is, water drain down in the bowl. I too have used the tool (nail file looking thingy)...and also a SPARE toothbrush.
Ray, I'll double check the valve position..You mentioned"I pack the seal, in and around"...I have not tried this. Maybe I'm not using enough.
On a side bar...You know there seems to be a lot of problems with this toilet and the vast majority are bowl/leak down related. Could point at an engineering deficiency. Just saying...

Last edited:

wingfoot

Ray, just tried the Vaseline "pack"...didn't work..I'll keep trying..(Rubber valve orientation)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My 310 won't hold water either. Just started our last trip and it's been too cold since (and we're winterized now) to work on it. When we un-winterize in March I'll try cleaning it real good with the wife's toothbrush - oops, I mean a spare old toothbrush - and a few other things described here and in a couple of other threads. Sounds like a toilet model problem though. Time to call Dometic me thinks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My 310 leaks on occasion. I just don a nitrile glove and massage the seal back in place and all is good. Takes all of about 30 seconds to solve the problem.

Peace
Dave

Wmnmy

My 310 won't hold water either. Just started our last trip and it's been too cold since (and we're winterized now) to work on it. When we un-winterize in March I'll try cleaning it real good with the wife's toothbrush - oops, I mean a spare old toothbrush - and a few other things described here and in a couple of other threads. Sounds like a toilet model problem though. Time to call Dometic me thinks.
your right I had the same problem mine would not hold water then it started leaking onto the floorboard from halfway up the toilet where they say the 310 don't come apart well mine was loose there. And I called dometic talked to Heidi . We have a two year warranty on the 310 toilet and dometic sent me a brand new toilet . I opted to install it myself but they will send it to your dealer if you like .it cost me nothing two bolts and water disconnect new toilet no problems ........ It holds water and no leaks.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
your right I had the same problem mine would not hold water then it started leaking onto the floorboard from halfway up the toilet where they say the 310 don't come apart well mine was loose there. And I called dometic talked to Heidi . We have a two year warranty on the 310 toilet and dometic sent me a brand new toilet . I opted to install it myself but they will send it to your dealer if you like .it cost me nothing two bolts and water disconnect new toilet no problems ........ It holds water and no leaks.

You've convinced me. I'll give them a call soon.:D

Wmnmy

Very friendly and fast service I got the toilet in two days at my front door good luck....

Wmnmy

Anytime I found the info on the commode site and used it . It worked for me as well as most of the great info on this forum I've read most of your posting on diesel trucks that's why I got mine hehe.....

Wmnmy

Almost forgot you have to give dometic the info on the toilet sticker by the foot pedal hard to see so I used my cell phone camera to get it without taking toilet out pretty tight on the right side ........ Of the toilet at the base.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Something I found after replacing the seals in my 210 was the position of the screw/nut of the band clamp that secures the upper and lower sections is important. It has to go in the gap at the rear and be tightened. Initially, I placed it in front since it was easier to get at, and it leaked out. Moved it to the back and no more leak.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Don't want to steal a thread, but we have just experienced a problem with our Dometic 310. The flush ball mechanism ceased to function; water valve inputs water with pedal depressed, but ball does not move. The trouble-shooting section and schematic in the manual are of no help. No mention of this. Online was same way; no mention. Will be contacting Dometic this morning; anyone else have similar experience? Our coach is 2011 3570RL.

Netem

I had the same problem last year. Took the foot pedal off to look at it and found that it must have been too loose. I linned it back up and tightened it alittle tighter and has been fine ever since. If you take it off and look at it i think you will be able to see what I'm talking about.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
If you take it off and look at it i think you will be able to see what I'm talking about.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Netem. I had tryed tightening the screw but that did not help. It was broken at the connection point. Still under warranty so Dometic has a new unit headed our way. I will watch the new one closely to make certain the pedal does not loosen. Thanks again for your input.

traveler44

I have found that the bowl won't hold water on ours if we don't let the pedal snap up when flushing. I flush and hold it down so that extra water goes down for a while and then slip my foot off of the pedal and let it snap up. I can see that it doesn't close completely towards the back of the opening if I don't do this.