Electric Power Reel

donr827

Looks like we will be ordering a 3055 RL in the near future. One of the options that I would like to have is the electric power reel. Does any body know if there is a way to wind the cord in if there is a power loss or malfunction? Thanks for the help.
Don

brianharrison

The power cord reel runs off 12VDC. Unless your batteries are dead it should work - That being said I always manually pull the cord out and have wound it manually to see if I could do it, just to see if I could in the event it did crap out. It was not easy to get my hand into the compartment but I was able to wind it, albiet slowly.

Brian

MTPockets

We took delivery of our new 3055RL October 31st. The power reel is nice to have, but when winding we have to be careful to get the cord wound tight or when you get clost to the end of the cord, there's too much bulk to finish the job, so I have to pull it out and make sure the cord is wound close as it gets reeled in.

I can't figure out how to wind it in if there is ever a problem. I guess I would just bundle the cord and wrap it around the ladder.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hubby loves his power cord reel but has said that you do have to monitor it carefully to make sure that it is winding tightly. So far we haven't had any problems.

Pizzaguy

We have used ours every weekend between May 1 to Oct. 31 for 2 years and have not had one problem with it yet. I will not have another rig without it.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have a power reel on my BH 3585RL. The only problem I have had was one of the wires to the switch came out of the terminal. It was an easy fix, added a piece of wire and put a new terminal on it.. Turned the door over so I didn't have to hold it open while rewinding...I always have a rag in my hand while rewinding to wipe any dirt or moisture off the cord. Yes you need to keep it wraped tight and just before the plug gets in the door stop and push it in manually.. We have had our rig a year now and it is working great, wouldn't want to be with out it..

rboehlke

We have had our 3585 2 years now and the cord reel works excellent. I agree it should be automatic to reel it in using a towel to wipe it down, so my wife and I retract it as a team. One other thing I did was get rid of the keyed lock. Don't understand what its protecting. We went to the local dealer and replaced it with a standard quarter turn knob.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Don't understand what its protecting.

IT IS PROTECTING THE COPPER WIRE, THIEVES WILL PULL IT OUT, CUT IT OFF, SELL IT FOR COPPER SCRAP AND BUY DOPE WITH THE MONEY. THEY ARE STEALING COPPER WIRE FROM NEW HOUSES UNDER CONSTRUCTION, BRAND NEW AC UNITS ARE ALSO BEING STRIPPED OF THE COPPER.

sengli

Talked to our dealer today and he is NOT ordering any of his BH stock with this option. He said that he has several of these return for warranty work and the cord only..was damaged by scraping on some sharp edges internally? Anyway he told me that if there is an issue with this reel, you have to replace the entire cord and reel assembly becuase thats the only way it comes from the factory as a replacement part. Asked them if there is a fail safe way to reel the cord in if the reel fails and there isn't one.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I love my powered cord. I found out quickly that you needed to level wind the cord like an open face reel winds fishing line.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
I love my power cord reel. I wish I had a power reel for the sewer hose, the water hose and any other hose I have to reel in. Could say I was lazy. Ken

donr827

I love my power reel also. The one thing that you have to do is to feed the power cord onto the reel at the same speed that the reel turns. After a few problems with not feeding the power cord correctly I have it down correctly. There is not a lot of spare room on the reel if you do not feed the power cord correctly.
Don

porthole

Retired
I like the reel enough that I squeezed one in on the Cyclone. One of the two best things I did to the trailer.

iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwind

Well what you don't have you don't miss! I haven't had a problem with the cord. I just take it out of the compartment and stretch it out and connect it. Just my speed, uncomplicated.

ATLJOHN

We have had my 3670 for almost 3 years and never had any issues with my power cord reel. Just remember that sure is a heavy cord to roll up and store especially in the winter. For me it is one of the best options available.

sengli

After much thought , we are ordering our new big horn without the power cord reel option. Looked at it at the factory, and it is a neat idea, but for me it was just complicating something that was just too simple. I bought a 125v to 50amp pigtail adaptor($45) for our current trailer, which I use to run the lights and charge batteries in the coach at home. I now can plug in our coach with a small 12 gauge extension cord easily without breaking out the huge and heavy 50amp cord. They are using finer multistrand wiring in the power cords on the reel. So it it is more flexible than the standard 50 amp standlone cords. I know alot of people are getting this, but it didnt make sense for me.

Westwind

sengli - your feelings are mine, I haven't become so feeble that I can't wrap up the cord and put it in the storage compartment. Even when it's cold, our cord seems pretty flexible, and it does get cold in New England, it was in the low 30's when we left for Florida this year and I managed to roll the cord up easily. I don't think I would want to deal with the power cord reel when it didn't function as it aged.