Ceiling light over dining table

Bob Vaughn

The light over our dining area table is so dim it is like trying to eat with a 25 watt bulb. Can the bulbs be changed to brighter bulbs?

jnbhobe

The light over our dining area table is so dim it is like trying to eat with a 25 watt bulb. Can the bulbs be changed to brighter bulbs?

Dining area lights are usually 12V bulbs you may have bad bulbs or you may be able to put in brighter ones.

Bob Vaughn

I have not taken the cover off to see, but they have only been this bright since we bought the unit brand new....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I put in a brighter bulb, put aluminum duct tape on the fixture above the light and changed the globe to a clear one. Much better now but not what I would consider bright.

Peace
Dave

Coyote

You are correct, those two 12 volt light bulbs are really weak. I'm looking at changing mine out to some much brighter LED lights. Just started researching the options.

MTPockets

I had the same issue in our new Big Horn. I purchased two LED bulbs from the dealer parts department, put them in and they were no better than the originals. I found LED bulbs much brighter at the Tampa RV show and put the in - much better - more like a normal light. I wish I could tell you more, part number, etc. but I don't have that info any more,.. brighter bulbs are out there but expensive - these two bulbs cost me about $48.00... May have been cheaper to find a whole new fixture... (Why do the mfg. do these things to us?)

Manzan

Different brightness 12v bulbs are available. I put in dimmer ones to read in bed by in old trailer. Cost a lot less than the LEDs

JJnLilly

There is another posting about this somewhere (just can't locate it today) and replacing the bulbs does help - a lot. We went to one of the big box stores and found brighter bulbs in the outdoor 12v lighting area. They do help, but that frosted dome really cuts down on the light. I may try and add a reflector of some type.

Bob Vaughn

I went out today to take the cover off and unscrewed the knob only to find there was another nut under that one that would require a pair of pliers to loosen that one. So I decided that would be a job for another day......

MTG46

My 2011 3250 has the same issue. Since a low light is better at night when watching TV or not wanting a bright light glaring in the eyes, I tried a different approach.

Add a second set of 12 volt bulbs with a second/independent switch. The power is easy to tap into and I drilled a small (3/8") hole in the light housing with a second pull chain switch (replaced original switch also, much easier to use) and now I can use either set of bulbs or both.

Difficult part is locating a light socket that is easily adapted to fit. From there it's simple electronics.

Hope this helps the results are significant, Mike

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, thats a great idea. A lot of people have been looking for a good solution to low light.
Thanks.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Your right about that Dave, I quit useing that light never thought about adding another bulb. Great idea Mike !!

Bob Vaughn

I found a bright light fixture at CW it is 75 bucks but is a lot brighter and has 4 bulbs and will take 2-3 weeks to get because it is special order. I think I am going to try to find 2 921 light fixtures and just add 2 bulbs to mine.....

Bob Vaughn

I just made a trip to NAPA and got sockets and bulbs. Now the modification begins. I think I will go to lowes or HD and get a chain pull switch to replace the push button because my wife cannot reach the push button on the light.

Birchwood

We rarely us the dining light in our Landmark Pinehurst and have never looked inside to check out the wattage.We actually
purchased a small table lamp that we use instead.

Bob Vaughn

I took the fixture off the ceiling, I painted the base with silver paint. I am making some brackets to hold the new light receptacles i bought yesterday. I will get them installed tomorrow....I cannot imagine why they used black as a light reflector, duh......

Bob Vaughn

I had to fashion a socket holder out of aluminum angle then drill an elongated hole to hold the socket. I got the first one made and will make another tomorrow then put it all together.....