Microwave woes

MountainTop

When we bought our used MPG we had a new Contour microwave/convection oven installed. No matter what we did and how carefully we followed the instructions, the convection function never came close to the temperature selected - usually 75-100 low. The distributor agreed to exchange it for a new unit. Because the Contour model was out-of-stock, they sent a Cuisinart unit instead. It arrived just a few days before we started our 3 week trip to FL, so we quickly installed it and set off on our travels. The new Cuisinart does no better than the Contoure - wayy low on baking temps. Would like to hear from others about how their micro/convection ovens perform and what brands you have.

The friends we traveled with have a Sylvania micro/convection oven unit in their r-Pod and it did a great job on biscuits, cookies and muffins. I'd consider buying the same brand for our next TT, but it seems to be in short supply if not out of production.

Crumgater

I thought that was how convection ovens work - with a convection oven you can bake at a lower temperature. Some ovens have the offset built in... might have to check the manual or call customer service for Contour to see how theirs works. 100F low seems a bit too much, though...

MountainTop

With convection you should heat about 25 deg. less than for a conventional over, or bake for a slightly shorter time. But the finished product should look and be cooked just like a regular oven. Both micro-convection units we've tried claim you can also broil meat in them, but I can't imagine that when we couldn't even get a muffin properly cooked. There was nothing in eithr manual stating that the oven would heat significantly lower than the setting selected. We used a volt meter to check the circuit for the oven and it showed proper voltage. Other appliances we used, including 1200 watt hairdryer, had no problems. I don't think the trouble is with the trailer, but with the oven.

Would like to know what brands other RVers have that work properly.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We had an Apollo Half-Time in our last Bighorn and it worked fantastically. We have a Frigidaire in the Landmark and apparently one of the boards has gone out because the keypad won't work. We have scheduled an appointment with our selling dealer and are told that someone will come to the site where we are to make the repairs.