Hello - New to the Forum

Hello everyone,
My name is Darryl. My wife Alicia and I just purchased a MPG 181. This is our first RV and we are very excited. My wife has been wanting an RV for years and had been looking at them a lot online over the past few weeks. We went this past weekend to just look at a few, with no intention of making a purchase. We both fell in love with the MPG. I went and had a hitch installed on Monday and we brought the MPG home on Tuesday. We're very excited and looking forward to our first trip this weekend.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Hello Darryl and welcome to the Heartland group. You will find the forum a good source of information and a good way to find out about what's going on with Heartland Chapter Rallies and get togethers. We in the Mississippi/Alabama Chapter would love to have you join the Heartland Owners group and become a part of our Chapter.

JJOren

Hi Darryl and Alicia!

Congratulations on your new MPG. We are sure you will enjoy the RV lifestyle for many years to come!! And you couldn't have a better rig to enjoy it with!!!!

Enjoy!!

marc515

Welcome, and congratulations!

What are you towing your 181 with?

Happy and safe camping!

wdk450

Darryl and Alacia:
I hope you got a THOUROUGH PreDelivery Inspection (PDI) with the dealer explaining EVERY appliance, system, etc. There are ALWAYS defects that need to be repaired under warranty.
If this is your first RV, first trip, be CAREFUL, double check your hitching and rig, drive EXTRA carefully. I would recommend a park nearby to home, or coupling up with an experienced RVer in case you have problems. Don't be afraid to ask your neighbor, or bring your computer along and ask your fellow HOG's on this forum IF you need any help.
I don't want to make this lifestyle sound intimidating, but if you can easily solve the problems you encounter, it will make the whole experince more pleasurable.

Happy RVing!!!

Well, we got the first trip behind us. Took the MPG to Cajun RV Park in Biloxi, MS as an orientation for ourselves. Had no problems getting everything hooked up and pretty much figured everything out. Only problem we had was with our lighting on the trailer. The left taillight stays on constantly and the blinker doesn't blink on that side. It's probably a problem with the harness on the TV, but I'll have to deal with that another day.
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. For those who wanted to know, we are towing our 181 with a Honda Odyssey. It tows OK, but it sits too low to the ground so we have to be very careful. I installed a brake controller and a transmission cooler. We'll probably just make short trips around here with it for now. I've got a car I'm working on selling and when I get it sold, we'll probably take that money and trade in the van on a Honda Ridgeline. It should be a more suitable TV.

kb0zke

Welcome, happykampers! Yes, it sounds like you have a wire or two misconnected. Your mpg has a gross weight of 3,800 pounds, and that's the number you need to keep in mind for the weight of the trailer. The empty (dry) weight is only useful in calculating how much weight you can put in the trailer. When you are shopping for a new tow vehicle, just use a trailer weight of 4,000 pounds and a tongue weight of 400 pounds, and you should be fine. If the potential tow vehicle can't handle that much it can't handle your mpg.