Automatic Changeover?

traveler44

This has probably been discussed before but I was wondering if we would run out of lp in the middle of the night if both bottles are cranked open and one is near empty. Are the type of valves we have automatic changeover or does it have to be flipped when the first tank is empty? My valve is the kind that shows green dot on one side-red dot on the other- and as long as there is gas the dot in the middle is green too. Thanks Tom

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There are a variety of change-over regulators being used, but I think all of them have some sort of visual indicator that the system has depleted the first tank and has switched (if working correctly) to the other tank. There is no visual indicator that the system has switched over, however. You have to manually change the selector over to the second tank, the indicator should turn green again, and take the empty for refill. When you reconnect the tank and open the valve, the regulator will switch to it when the second tank is empty. And repeat. If you just have painted dots, I'm not familiar with that one. Mine is shown below.

View attachment 17586

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tom, As long as you check frequently, you shouldn't run out of LP. John's explanation was very good. On the other hand, if you don't check often and you don't realize that the first tank ran out, you may very well run out in the second tank. If you are using LP for the fridge, water heater and furnace and stove and it's cold and on and on. You must be diligent about checking the tank indicator.

JohnDar

Good points, Ray. When running appliances on gas, particularly the furnace, make it a habit to check the indicator each morning. And check the frost line on the tanks. If both tanks are showing a frost line, then it's a good bet the switch-over valving is not working and you're drawing down both tanks. BTDT with our former TT.

danemayer

Being somewhat color blind, I'd be very happy if the color indicators were replaced with something easier for me to read. If not words or letters, I'd even take icons over Red/Green.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I put gauges on both of mine, and while they are not 100% accurate, they do give a reasonable level of where the tank is getting to. I still let the auto-changeover do it's "thing", but I can plan ahead with the gauge.

JohnDar

I was going to put my gages on the tanks, but the hoses are too short and stiff to rotate the tanks so the compartment will close. Could be an excuse to do a "mod" in there this year.

boatto5er

I was going to put my gages on the tanks, but the hoses are too short and stiff to rotate the tanks so the compartment will close. Could be an excuse to do a "mod" in there this year.

You need to upgrade to a Landmark John. Two separate propane compartments, bigger tanks (40lb), plenty of room for gadget add-ons.;)

traveler44

Thanks! I will try to to keep an eye on it to see if I can figure out if the first tank goes empty. I weighed it last week and we had over a gallon left then. I could put a in line gauge on that I have but it usually just shows that there is gas or that it is empty. The amount in between doesn't seem to be very accurate.

Ray LeTourneau

Being somewhat color blind, I'd be very happy if the color indicators were replaced with something easier for me to read. If not words or letters, I'd even take icons over Red/Green.

Dan, what regulator do you have? Mine is a Marshall. It has a black flip valve and a clear plastic cylindrical shaped indicator on top that has the red/green pop up thingy. Marshall offers an add on wired indicator that signals you inside the coach with a flashing LED. LINK HERE.
It only fits certain regulators though. THIS REGULATOR
It's an awesome accessory!

Ray LeTourneau

View attachment 17588I don't see a manufacturer's name, but here's the regulator.
I have not seen that one before. It's now the 3rd variation I've seen being used. All are the same concept though. That black lever points to the empty tank when the indicator is red. Flip it the other way (to the full tank) and it should turn green again. At that point, get the MT tank refilled.

JohnDar

You need to upgrade to a Landmark John. Two separate propane compartments, bigger tanks (40lb), plenty of room for gadget add-ons.;)

I'll be waiting at the mailbox for your check to pay for it, Gus, since I doubt the wife will let me trade in the 3670. Of course, if we got an Augusta, maybe she'd relent. NOT!

boatto5er

I'll be waiting at the mailbox for your check to pay for it, Gus, since I doubt the wife will let me trade in the 3670. Of course, if we got an Augusta, maybe she'd relent. NOT!

Better take a BIG lunch out to the mailbox with you John - might take awhile for that check to get there.:rolleyes:

jnbhobe

I use the automatic changeover all the time, I love not having to get up and change it over. I have come close a few times but never all out of gas.

Lou_and_Bette

View attachment 17588I don't see a manufacturer's name, but here's the regulator.

Dan, I have the same regulator and had to change out my first tank yesterday. My issue is that I am wondering if the green indicator is not a gauge of the fullness of the tank because sometimes it seems that the window is partly green and partly red...anyone know if this is indicating 1/2, 1/4,etc empty?

Lou