Dometic Penquin in Bedroom

Birchwood

Had a Dometic Penquin 13.5 PTU with manual controls on the air box.Never been so dissappointed
in an A/C unit as this one.With the controls set to max A/C the room thermometer on the bedroom
wall will only reach 74 degrees an then the A/C will shut off.The RV repair man says the temperature
in the air box (manual thermostat)has reached 65 degrees because the cool air is blowing at the thermostat.
What a design ,I am asking Dometic for a full refund or a solution to this problem.Does anyone else have this setup
in the bedroom of their Fifth wheel?

hoefler

Check and see if the discharge chute has been installed correctly. If not it will circulate the cold air into the return where the thermostat is and shut it down prematurely. When I installed mine, I had to order the extension kit for the thicker attic space, the one that comes with the interior trim is for a 4" attic.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We have had no trouble with ours so far and it will freeze us to death if we fall asleep with it on.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Duane, you never cease to amaze me.:p That was my thoughts also....is it a pet or how did it get in their.:eek: They are kinda cute though.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Who installed it?

Peace
Dave

Triple a RV in Medford, OR installed it. They are not a Heartland dealer, but the Heartland dealer in our area had a service guy at the counter who didn't much want to sell us anything. Triple A treated us well. We had them move the Fantastic Fan from the BR to the bathroom and install the AC.

Kristy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you are up in Canada now it will be difficult to go back to CW in FL.
Your latest assessment may be correct in that the cold air is blowing on the T-stat. If that is the case, maybe try to fabricate a shield to prevent that from happening. We had a similar situation in our last rig. The bedroom AC would blow cold air at the living room AC T-stat and shut it down before that area got cool. The simple fix was to redirect the cool air away from the T-stat.
Give that a try.
Is your T-stat at it's coolest position?

Peace
Dave