Our Award Winning Chili

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lin & I entered our 3rd Chili Cook-off today and won 1st prize. We have placed in the top 3 each time we've entered. I don't mean to brag but this is some really tasty Chili.

[h=1]CHILI[/h]
1 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from casings
1 lb lean ground beef
1 med chopped sweet onion
1 ¾ oz envelope chili seasoning mix (mild or hot or combination to your liking)
I prefer a 50/50 blend of hot and regular.
1 16 oz. can kidney beans, drained
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 15oz. can chicken broth

Crumble sausage & ground beef into large skillet. Add onion. Over medium high heat, partially cook sausage, ground beef & onion. Place cooked meat mixture into crockpot. Add remaining ingredients. Cover & cook low 8 hrs or high 4 hrs. Stir and skim off excess grease.
Makes about 3 qts.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Congratulations on the big win! Always looking for a good bowl of chili! We shall give yours a try!

ihsolutions

We're going to try this, too. Very nice of you to share the recipe. Some people get really secretive about recipes when you start talking about chili contests..

SilverRhino

Congratulations on your win! Thanks for sharing your winning recipe......I always enjoy trying different versions of classic dishes.

Travel Safe!

archbarb

Ray and Lin, just a quick question about the hot Italian sausage...does it still have that sweet anise taste or is it just sizzlin' hot tasting?
Barb

ihsolutions

Update: I made this chili today for something to munch on while watching superbowl. Delicious! Like all chili's, I top it with a bit of mexican shredded cheese and a spoonful of light sour cream. Instead of a spoon, we use blue corn tortilla chips to do the scooping. Overall, a little spicy for my 4 and 6 year olds, but us adults LOVED it! Thanks again!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Stella made this recipe for chili yesterday to eat while we watched the super bowl. She made a couple of small changes and it turned out great! Thanks for sharing.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray and Lin, just a quick question about the hot Italian sausage...does it still have that sweet anise taste or is it just sizzlin' hot tasting?
Barb
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I just noticed the post. I notice the sweet more than the heat. I believe the heat comes from the chili powder. I like it a bit hot so I use the 50/50 blend of the powder. I think we'll do up a double batch for the Seffner Rally as requested by Jim B.