Adding shelf over 181 bed - good idea or not?

MountainTop

We're looking for ways to add clothing storage space and thought about putting a shelf above the fixed window on the long side of the queen bed in our 181. Can't decide how to accomplish it since there aren't any studs in the walls. Any ideas? Has anyone added shelving in the bed area?

Marbles

We're looking for ways to add clothing storage space and thought about putting a shelf above the fixed window on the long side of the queen bed in our 181. Can't decide how to accomplish it since there aren't any studs in the walls. Any ideas? Has anyone added shelving in the bed area?

What I am in the process of doing is adding shelves at the bedroom end. We took out the queen mattress and replaced it with a better double mattress. That left a space next to the end wall. Using that for a base I am building a set of cantilevered shelves that will attach at the base. I have already done a similar thing on the dinette end. Since there are just the two of us and we never have use for seating for more than two I took out the less than desireable table. I built a shelf unit that molds to the curvature of the end wall. It attaches to the seat base. It has three shelves and a fold up door that opens down to form a table. This has added greatly to the comfort and storage space.

I am also going to make the back of the other storage unit curve to fit the curvature. I made a template for this arc by tracing the outside of the camper.

jimtoo

Hi Marbles,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Sounds like your customizing your MPG to fit your needs. Please post some pictures when finished, both during mods and finished shelves.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

MountainTop

Marbles, sounds like you're creating a unique solution. It would really be helpful if you could post some photos of what you're doing. Do you have good special woodworking tools that help you, especially with cutting a good curve?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We added a shelf over the headboard, attaching it with Command strips. Works great for tissue box, alarm clock, thermometer, etc. It doesn't answer your question about adding more clothes storage but it works great for the little stuff.
IMG_0509.jpgIMG_0510.jpg

kb0zke

Unfortunately, an mpg 181 doesn't have a headboard. In fact, either end of the bed can be the head. We have been using the curb side as the head and putting small plastic boxes for our glasses, tissues, etc. in the corners. I've thought about putting a shelf over the window, but didn't really know how to attach it. I think I've just gotten some ideas.

MountainTop

Thanks for the photos - always more helpful than just trying to conjure up a mental image.
A no-construction-needed way to add a place for little things like watches, glasses and other small personal items is to buy some narow drawer organizer bins (we got some made of metal mesh) and use strong velcro to attach them to the tops of the window valences. They're not as attractive as this decorative shelf, but they do the job.

We added a shelf over the headboard, attaching it with Command strips. Works great for tissue box, alarm clock, thermometer, etc. It doesn't answer your question about adding more clothes storage but it works great for the little stuff.
View attachment 17634View attachment 17635