pull out bike rack

Homestead

We're new North Trail owners and our 26lrss comes with a pull out rear bike rack on a platform. We don't understand how bikes attach to the post that is inserted in the platform. Can anyone shed some light on this for us?

jimtoo

Hi Homestead,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information. I'm sure a family member will jump in soon and help out with the information you need.

Meanwhile enjoy the forum.

Jim M

zeus7625

We're new North Trail owners and our 26lrss comes with a pull out rear bike rack on a platform. We don't understand how bikes attach to the post that is inserted in the platform. Can anyone shed some light on this for us?

I have a 21FBS that has the same bike rack and I've only used it once. I made sure I put a rag (or other means of protection) between the bike frame and the center post so that the bike frame did not rub and tied off the first bike with some extra-strength velcro strap I purchased at HD. I then put a velcro strap around the front rim and the tray frame (same to the back rim) to hold it firmly in place. Once I knew the first bike was secured I then strapped the frame of the second bike to the first bike. Then the front and back rims to the frame of the tray. We had a six hour trip with no issues or problems with the bikes getting loose.

Westwind

I think I would invest in a bike rack similar to this one and see if you can mount it to that rack for a safe sound system, you might even be able to fabricate something similar since it is quite pricey but you can see how well it can hold bikes. My fear would be that they would leave the back of the trailer and I wouldn't know it.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-A30902.html

pegmikef

We're new North Trail owners and our 26lrss comes with a pull out rear bike rack on a platform.

I think the term "bike rack" is somewhat of a misnomer. "Cargo rack" would better describe this pull out platform. I personally use it to haul my generators and other cargo when we boondock. It is rated for 200 pounds.

lorax

It is very hard to secure a bike to this cargo rack. I use ours to store our bikes while we long term camp. I lock them to the rear bumper. It is a great cargo rack.

Ted

PeternLiane

I've wondered the same thing since we took our first and only trip with our NT. No sales person could ever explain how to attach a bike there either. It was kind of funny because they had a very puzzled look on their face when I asked how can I attach a bike there. I guess I'll figure that out soon enough. Only three more months till our next trip, but whose counting, LOL.

I have a 28BRS and have piled 3 adult bikes and one childs bike on the rear rack with no problems. Driven over 5-6 hrs never looking back and there always still tight when i get there. I use a couple quick pull tie down straps around each bike frame to the post or rear bumper. I think it works great.

olyfire

We use our rack often. I use bungee cords. I also pad between the bikes and fasten a bungee around the bikes and through the screw eye on the vertical rod. I then put a bungee through the wheels and round hole on the side of the try. I do this to the front and back tires. We have traveled well over 3000 miles and never had a problem, very secure.

GaryWT

I have only used mine as a shelf once set up at a camp site. The trailer is so low that I would not be able to travel with it out, I bottom out enough as it is. Have to stack up boards to get in and out of the driveway, would not work with the rack out. It is handy when using the outside kitchen to hold an extra grill or whatever.

wobly

I took an old swimming foam "noodle" and cut it to a length that covered the square pole. Then, I split it down the middle and wrapped it around the pole. To attach the bikes, I put the first one up against the pole/noodle combo and then took some of the excess noodle and rags to put between the first bike and the second. (I don't want the bikes scratched up). To secure it all, I took a small ratchet strap and started at the loop at the top of the pole and wrapped and weaved the strap around the bikes finally securing it at the bottom of the platform. My logic there is that if the pole was to somehow fall out and the strap was secured only to that, the bikes would go, too. By securing the other end of the strap to the platform, that problem "should" solve itself.

Ray55

My upright post did not line up correctly. I had to drill it out to get the pin to line up. I decided since I leave it up all the time to use a bolt instead of the pin.

I used a noodle on the upright pole held on with some duck tape to pad the pole. The first bike is placed on the platform and rested against the padded upright pole. The second bike is placed on the platform with the front of the bike facing the other direction. Both facing the same direction did not seem to work for me. The second bike is easier to load from the side of the platform. I use two noodles between the bikes to keep them from banging.

I use a rope to tie/ pull the bikes tight against each other and the upright post.

I use rachet straps on each end of the platform to hold the bikes in place. Two total, one on each side. I run the strap around rails of the platform and thru the bike frames. They do not move. I use a cable around the bumper and thru the bike frames and a lock to keep honest people honest and slow down the bad guys.

I'm having issues with a bolt on the rack hitting my sewer drain when sliding out. The dealor put a shorter bolt in and its still hitting the drain pipe. Any suggestions? 2011 Northtrail 21RBS

TimDyck

Can you post a picture so we can see what's going on? Have you tried turning the bolt around so the head is on the side of the pipe? Or if that don't work maybe try a carrage bolt?
I will look at our trailer tomorow and see how it's set up and if there is a solution.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
I have a 21FBS that has the same bike rack and I've only used it once. I made sure I put a rag (or other means of protection) between the bike frame and the center post so that the bike frame did not rub and tied off the first bike with some extra-strength velcro strap I purchased at HD. I then put a velcro strap around the front rim and the tray frame (same to the back rim) to hold it firmly in place. Once I knew the first bike was secured I then strapped the frame of the second bike to the first bike. Then the front and back rims to the frame of the tray. We had a six hour trip with no issues or problems with the bikes getting loose.
Yeah what he said.
We do pretty much the same thing and it works great, we also strap a ladder that is a bit too long for our pick-up bed back there too, it is very light weight, the ladder. We have two crusier style bikes on the rack.