Backup Camera Pre Wiring

I am looking at adding backup and side view cameras to my bighorn. The only problem is how to do it. I dont want to drill holes in the sides of the unit. It would be helpful I believe to add a piece of pvc conduit at the top back and on the sides. this could be run down under the unit and then just terminated. If the conduit was in place I could mount the camera and fish the wires through the conduit down under the trailer then run the wires to the front of the unit and attach to my truck. I realize there are wireless cameras I have had them. Wireless cameras still need a power connection and they have a short run to the transmitter.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would drill the holes. In fact I have when my rig was one day old. Measure correctly and drill in the right place. Install the camera and caulk it up.
You may need to drill some screws in to hold the conduit to the sides anyway. And it might not look all that good.
Who you saving it for, the next owner?
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

Dave,

Thank You for your response. The idea I was trying to get across was the possibility of the factory putting the conduit on the inside of the caps with a place to mount a backup and side mount camera. I did read a very good suggestion that you can take the running lights loose and fish the camera wires through them I will probably use that method but it would be a lot simpler if there were pre existing conduit runs for that.

I would drill the holes. In fact I have when my rig was one day old. Measure correctly and drill in the right place. Install the camera and caulk it up.
You may need to drill some screws in to hold the conduit to the sides anyway. And it might not look all that good.
Who you saving it for, the next owner?
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Removing the clearance lights and fishing the camera wire is exactly what I have done. It worked out pretty good.
I have some pics if you would like to see them.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
HERE IS A LINK to an old thread on backup cameras. My pics are in post #55.

Peace
Dave

Your camera placement looks very nice. Thank you for the pictures. I have a couple of questions for you if you dont mind me asking. It is apparent that you have a lot more experience with backup cameras than I do. I have been looking at video switching units. I saw one that does 4 camera inputs. The unit has a remote control with it. According to the company that sells them I could mount the switching unit in my bighorn and then control which camera I am looking at with the remote. It also accepts various trigger inputs. My idea is to mount the unit in the front storage and power it off of the bighorn battery. I want to leave the backup camera on any time I am driving with a camera mounted on each side. The side mountted cameras would trigger to switch to them when the turn signal light for that particular side came on. I thought I would also get a bullet camera that looks towards the front. I could aim it at my hitch and use it just to help me line up for hookup a bit easier. By putting the video switching unit in the bighorn I only have to run one cable to my truck. I also thought about putting a monitor in the unit and then if I wanted to I could use the cameras for security when we are inside. I am not too worried about outside security but I figured I would hook it up just in case the need ever arose.

What is your opinion of my ideas.

Thomas

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, sounds like a lot of work. If you can pull it off is should be quite a system.
Go for it.

Peace
Dave