18-19 Inch Truck Wheels

Westwind

I was looking at trucks online the other night and noticed that most of them came with 18 inch wheels or larger at OEM equipment, with beefed up frames these trucks are tall to begin with and with another inch on two on the wheels to me it spells problems with trying for a level trailer when hitched.
Does anyone have a 2011/2012 any brand that experienced this problem and what did you do? :confused:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
With any of the new wheel sizes it does not raise the truck. The bigger the wheel the tire height gets smaller. Example, a 16" wheel and tire are the same height as a 20" wheel and tire. The side wall gets shorter on the tire. Take a tape measure with you and verify the total tire height wheel to wheel. If the total height is say a 1/2" taller then you have only raised the truck by 1/4".

Westwind

Thanks Bob, too much time on my hands - we leave for Florida Saturday and every year I'm ready to go earlier and earlier now I sit at the window waiting for the mailman and our income tax stuff so I can get out of here.

All I know it's getting harder and harder to get my wide butt in the truck bed everytime I need too.

Last edited:

lwmcguir

I was looking at trucks online the other night and noticed that most of them came with 18 inch wheels or larger at OEM equipment, with beefed up frames these trucks are tall to begin with and with another inch on two on the wheels to me it spells problems with trying for a level trailer when hitched.
Does anyone have a 2011/2012 any brand that experienced this problem and what did you do? :confused:

We have the 20 inch wheel/tire option. Our Augusta sits almost perfectly level hitched with standard equipment on the truck.

hoefler

My 2010 Dodge has 17" wheels to allow for bigger brakes, but the overall diameter of the tire wheel combination is the same size as a 16" combination.

Westwind

I have the 17" option on my GMC Sierra, it came with a 16" spare ?? But I will say first year I had it we had a flat coming home from Florida towing our 28" Travel Trailer. Fortunately I got to a hotel parking lot in NJ without a problem because of the OEM tire pressure warning system. Put the spare on and continued to tow home to RI, about 240 miles and no problems.
I have been next to some new Ford 4x4 and they seem to look higher then my truck and they were both 3/4 ton's.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It seems that all the 2011 trucks are higher over all. Your 2008 bed sides are 1 1/2" higher than a 2007.

Westwind

I had to move the hitch up and 1 1/2 inchs (2nd setting hole) to give me 6 1/2 to 7 inches between the the bed rails and the bottom of the the Bighorn. It made the difference I wanted and now I'm a little more relaxed when I know things are getting close and I'm turning tight. I did gouge the rail of my roll up bed cover but it wasn't anything bad on my trip home with the trailer, I'm sure it was backing into the yard. The level on the side of the trailer did go up at least a line maybe a little more, which tells me the trailer isn't perfectly level when hitched up but not enough to make a difference.