Anyone installed a shutoff for their stove / oven?

bowhunt73

Hello everyone,

I did a quick search and didn't see this topic. I'm looking at installing a gas / propane shutoff valve for my indoor stove and oven. I've seen (other campers) hit their knobs by accident on the front of their stove. Also, one less thing to worry about with the little ones. I do use my stove / oven on occasion so the shutoff needs to reside in an easy access location.

I'm thinking of a valve outside unless there is a really easy access place inside, which I don't believe that there is. Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

Randall

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hi Randall, I suppose it something that could be done. You would need to find the supply tubing and install an approved LP valve. LP is low pressure so I don't really know if it would need to have a double lipped flare. Access for you should be either under the stove through the cold air return or maybe under the sink. You will have to determine the best accessible location for your needs. Maybe even under the stove burner cover. There may already be room for a valve. Lift off the burner grates and pull up on the black burner cover plate. You may be able to add a valve where the copper tube connects to the flare fitting. Find a valve with a matching inlet/outlet size threads.

RuralPastor

Randall,
With the propane line tucked away (and therefore access to a valve), you might consider having a 12volt solenoid valve installed. This would give you a convenient and safe way of controlling the valve. They are readily available on line. The switch could be mounted anywhere you feel it would work.

bowhunt73

Thanks Ray and RualPastor. These are two ideas that I'll look into. It's one of my to-dos that probably rates on the side of overkill, but that's my style. Hopefully, it will end up being an easy solution. My main projects are a bike rack solution before spring, installing JT strongarms, and revamping the divider wall in my main outside storage area. Thanks again and take care.
Randall