Dinette cushion problems and questions

MountainTop

We have 3 issues with the dinette seats in our 2012 181. Maybe some of you have been down this road already and have suggestions for dealing with them.

1. We find that the foam cushions that came with our TT really compress down when we sit on them (and neither of us is overweight), making it a bit uncomfortable getting up over the raised end piece of the wooden bench without pressure on a hip or leg. As a temporary fix, we bought some dense 2" foam to put under the upholstered cushion and that has helped a little. Anyone found a better solution?

2. Also, even though ours was used very little before we bought it, the fabric on one edge of a cushion is already badly frayed, so will need to be replaced. Any recommendations on durable fabric to use? Could this be a do-it-yourself project, or is a pro required?

3. We also find it uncomfortable to sit on these bench seats for very long due to the 90 deg. angle between the bottom and back cushions. Any ideas for a way to soften the angle? We'd prefer not to resort to loose small pillows, as that would be yet more items to move around, store, etc.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
MountainTop, Every trailer I've owned with a dinette seems to have the same density foam. Not too good. As for the fabric, some seem to last better than others but most manufacturers use a lesser quality fabric. More for looks than wear. Yes, if you have access to a sewing machine it can be a DIY project. You'll have to search for a good fabric and a supplier for some dense foam.
The angle is the same too so unless you can do some modification to the seat base, you're pretty much stuck with it. Sorry I couldn't give you a better reply but it is what it is. A Camper. Don't worry though, as soon as you get er fixed up to your liking, you'll be thinking of stepping up to a bigger, newer rig. ;)

Wharton

We have the dinette in our 2011 BH and the foam is very dense, you might want to check with Heartland on this. If you don't get anywhere with Heartland you might want to go to Joann's or Hancock and get a different foam to use in the seat. If they don't have what you want stop by a reupholstery store.

The fabric used in our seats is the same as in the recliners, no issue there.

I don't find the 90 degree uncomfortable but we only sit there for meals, not any real length of time. I sit rather upright and my back rarely touches the back of the dinette so that may be it. My husband tends to slouch but he hasn't said anything about it being uncomfortable.