Waxing exterior -

John198

When should you wax a new 2012 Big Horn, and what should you use? Also, what is the high gloss finish? Is it the same as gel coat? And, what is recommended for the many decals?

Bobby A

John,
You will get many opinions on this subject, 1st, the high gloss finish is Gel Coat. I use a product from Maguiars called flagship premium RV & boat wax, I order it on line from Amazon. Its the best wax I have ever used and several people that I have turned on to this product do agree also. Works well over decals also, I do from time to time use the 303 product on the decals only, I know several people on this forum do to. JMHO.

Bobby A

Westwind

I used Nu-Finish on my new Bighorn, I've used it for years on my vehicles and on my previous TT, for a 10 year old Rv that said outside for 10 years 90 percent of my decals looked good and the trailer looked great. We sold it 3 hours after we put it up for sale. I did the Bighorn about 3 months ago and the water is still beading and I have minimal black streaks. So minimal that I used Windex and a paper towel to clean them off under the windows.
I would look towards something different for the fiberglass front and rear cap since that is a different surface and finish. I didn't but I am going to do it in the future.

olcoon

I also us Nu-Finish, and am sold on it. We went to the rally in Goshen last year & I waxed it before we left. We left Goshen to work camp in Co. for the rest of the summer. I wasn't able to wash the rig the whole summer. When we got home, there was dirt & black streaks all over the camper, not to mention all the bugs on the front cap. When we got home & I washed it, the black streaks came off with just soap & water, no scrubbing! I hosed down the front cap to let the bugs re-hydrate, then hosed it off again...with just the garden hose, about 90% of the bugs came off, & the rest came off with little scrubbing.

SeldomSeen

A wise old man once told me that the best thing for getting those nasty bugs off the front cab of your rig was Baby Wipes. I tried it on our first rig (2003 Alfa Sun) and he was right, worked pretty good!

brianharrison

Regarding your question as to "When should you wax a new 2012 Big Horn?" I wax new Gel Coats as soon as I can before any oxidation occurs. Waxes (and the 303 Aerospace) protect the Gel Coat from UV oxidation.

I have used Gel Gloss (cleaner and wax) before with good success - I have not used 303 myself or any of the Mequiars products. Click on the links for their product pages.

Hope this helps.
Brian