Hitch Latch Kit

Westwind

Well with my Trailer Saver BD3 I'm left out again, I'll have to keep checking to see if they come up with a mod.

Wharton

I missed the original discussion. What is the purpose of this? We have had a 5th wheel for 25 years and never had the hitch unlatch as we were driving. After we hook up we make sure the hitch is engaged and never had a failure.

Boca_Shuffles

Ordered mine today. Cheap insurance.

Question for the group: If your latch came undone, would there be enough travel of the kingpin so that you would know that you were not hitched properly? If you find out immediately, it is great. If you find out after you have been driving, this could be very dangerous.

With a Blue Ox Bedsaver, the kingpin movement is very apparent. Do you think the minimal movement with this latch will be noticeable enough? Does anyone have experience with this or have tested it?

My previous bad experience was due to not hitching properly and being in a hurry to make a small adjustment at the camp site. I normally have the hitch closed and back into the kingpin, allowing the hitch to open and close around the kingpin. On this occasion I had the lever lock latched and the hitch did not did not open and close. It just stayed closed (locked). The trailer hit the tailgate after I backed up a foot and the trailer slide off the hitch.

With the new latch, I will have to manually close the latch. This will give me the opportunity to see that the kingpin is not in the hitch properly. The manual latch will force me to double (or triple) check the hitch. ;)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I missed the original discussion. What is the purpose of this? We have had a 5th wheel for 25 years and never had the hitch unlatch as we were driving. After we hook up we make sure the hitch is engaged and never had a failure.

I'm looking at it as a redundant safety system. I visually check my hitch jaws and lock the hitch bar, too. I even painted the jaws white so I could easily see them. I had considered the BedSaver, but the price and having it sticking out into the bed didn't thrill me. This little device will require me to physically do something extra to make sure we're good to go. There's always that one time you can mess up and BAM, years of safety go circling the drain.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I'm looking at it as a redundant safety system.

I'm with you John. I'm an employee of the Department of Redundancy Department!

John had a nice chat with Butch on the phone and we just ordered ours! MADE IN USA!!!!!!! Yahoo

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've been thinking of doing a similar mod to my hitch but with a single 5/8 pin through holes drilled through the angled guide plates. I'm still in the planning stages but when the task is complete, I'll post pictures. I already have the pin, I just need to come up with a simple locking method.

JohnDar

Mine's now in the UPS system for delivery. Hitch is in my garage for the winter waiting for it.

PUG

Pug
Ray,
I fabricated one similar to Butch's using a pin and slot method plus a hitch pin for double safety. I tested the setup and it caught the kingpin nicely. Only took me two days, a couple of scratched knuckles and a tempur tamtrum. Do yourself a favor and buy Butch's.

Speedy

The BedSaver for the Curt Q5 does not take up as much bed space as BedSavers for Reese hitches. I have a BedSaver installed on my Q5 and enjoy the peace of mind it affords.

Pictures on my Blog.

MTPockets

I just ordered one - Already rec'd a scheduled delivery e-mail for Feb. 6th. ..... Insurance is just that; hope it's never needed, but we have it just in case. Also like a seat belt, or a bike helmet, I hope they are never needed either....

ncc1701e

The BedSaver for the Curt Q5 does not take up as much bed space as BedSavers for Reese hitches. I have a BedSaver installed on my Q5 and enjoy the peace of mind it affords.

Pictures on my Blog.

Where did you get the one for a Curt Q5?

JohnDar

Mine showed up this afternoon. Looks like it's made pretty substantially with heavy gage steel. And Grade 8 bolts (tell by the head marking) with a 40ft-lb torque spec in the instructions. Even comes with the punch for starting the holes.

DougS

Doug S
Received mine also today. Clamped it on to drill tomorrow. Seems idiot proof, so I should have no problem.

JohnDar

I got mine mounted today. Nice that it comes with a drill bit, but after the second hole, it gave up the ghost. Had to run over to HD and get another 3/8" metal bit to finish. No biggie, just add it to my collection. Beyond that, it seems to be a good thing.