Good news for Shurflo 5.7 pumps!

porthole

Retired
They are not making them anymore! Shurflo finally figured out what most of us already know.

Something else to consider. My pump is a warranty replacement, taken care of through Heartland custoemr service.
The replacement pump part number ID's the pump as an OEM pump, and is dead
Regular customers = 3 year warranty
OEM = 1 year warranty.

dougw

Agreed about the pump. I just ordered a Flojet vsd from camping world. They had a good price even though I really hate how they do mail order and won't do anything from them again. Hopfully this pump will work better than the shurflo.

Doug.

Wharton

After our 3rd pump we put on a Flojet and never had a problem. Heartland should switch over to Flojet, a much more reliable product.

Willym

I've never had problems with other Shurflo models, just the 5.7. I got my dealer to give me a Shurflo Revolution when my 5.7 failed inside the warranty. No problems since.

brianharrison

I wonder what ShurFlo will provide when honoring the warranties of those pumps that fail within warranty period? Any ideas Duane? I will visit the ShurFlo site later this evening when I get home.

Take care,
Brian

porthole

Retired
Brian, the conversation didn't go as well as it was once the rep old me the 5.7 is no longer made.
I suggested to him that there were so many problems and that is the reason they are gone.. His answer was the company changes out the models every ten years or and the 5.7 was ready for the chopping block.

dougw

I finally installed my replacement "flojet vsd" water pump. I mounted it in the same location. I also put a piece of soft rubber pad under it. I ran the pump with and without the pad and I don't think it really needed it but since I had cut it I used it anyways. The pump is WAY quieter than the original shurflo pump. While the pump doesn't pump as much water (on paper anyways) than the shurflo, it is hard to tell any difference. One other thing I did notice is the water coming out of the sinks isn't as air aspirated as before. Its a nice steady flow of water. the pump did come with a much larger strainer than the shurflo had.

Time will tell how it lasts though.
file101.jpg

Doug

porthole

Retired
Doug, two things come to mind with your comments. There should not be any aspiration of the flow. if there was, you had a leak somewhere, could even had been internal of the pump.

I have found with several different ways of mounting the pump that most of the noise you here and or feel is coming from the plumbing.

One method you may try though is to use some hose, 3/4" old garden hose is what I have used in the past. The more flexible it is, the better for the end result.

Cut a piece about 4" longer then the pump feet. Cut 45 degree angles on each end of the hose in the same relative position.
Run screws through the long end into the floor then use screws from the pump into the hose.Doesn't have to be tight.

Would also help if you used enough hose at the pump to form a loop from the pump to the house plumbing. Can't tell from your picture if that is what you are doing here.

millenma

My Shurflo 5.7 pump just went bad this past weekend it was only 5 months old. I opened the motor up and the brush assembly melted. I call Shurflo they said just mail the label off the ump back to them and they will send me a new pump.

porthole

Retired
I tried that, see my first post. And the only difference between the two pumps is one digit in the part number.

dougw

The air aspirations were from the old shurflo pump. Me thought is since it was acting up that iinternally it was causing the air. With the new pump it's all gone.

Thew pump is pretty quiet. I don't think there is any need to do any more to it. This weekend is the first real camping test for it.

Sorry for any miss wording in my original post.

Doug

Doug, two things come to mind with your comments. There should not be any aspiration of the flow. if there was, you had a leak somewhere, could even had been internal of the pump.

I have found with several different ways of mounting the pump that most of the noise you here and or feel is coming from the plumbing.

One method you may try though is to use some hose, 3/4" old garden hose is what I have used in the past. The more flexible it is, the better for the end result.

Cut a piece about 4" longer then the pump feet. Cut 45 degree angles on each end of the hose in the same relative position.
Run screws through the long end into the floor then use screws from the pump into the hose.Doesn't have to be tight.

Would also help if you used enough hose at the pump to form a loop from the pump to the house plumbing. Can't tell from your picture if that is what you are doing here.