On demand hot water heater

Tool958

We've got one in our house and love it. Never run out of hot water. Wish we had one in our Cyclone. I would think they would have to be more effecient and save on propane.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We had one owner on here who had a Bighorn and he did put in a tankless water heater. His foum name is pulltab and you could probably search for his post.

Westwind

Would you lose the ability to use electric because it would only operate on gas? Or does it operate on both?

Tool958

Would you lose the ability to use electric because it would only operate on gas? Or does it operate on both?
All of them I've seen run off of propane. What you would save in fuel, I would think would offset not having the electric element. Also, when looking at them, they talked about being 50# to 90#'s lighter because of not having a tank. Hadn't even thought of that part.

olcoon

Seems to me I've seen somewhere an elec. one, but I don't remember where it was. Possibly on some home improvement show on TV.

TedS

Latest issue has an ad by Atwood for on-demand water heater. Installs in hot water heater space.

ShaneHess

I install tankless heaters on residetial homes quite frequently. The ones for campers operate on propane only. As long as you have propane (and small amount of power) you have hot water, they never run out. The are much more effecent than standard water heaters, BUT lets say your camping and always park at a campgroud. If you always have your standard water heater on electric with the gas option off (and not paying for metered electric) then your getting your hot water at no cost. Now if you turn the gas option on too ONLY when showering so you get more hot water befor running out then the tankless may save you some propain. If you are boondoking or frequintly have the gas option turned on then the tankless will defently save you propain. I think just knowing you will not run out of hot water makes me a fan.

jimtoo

Hi ShaneHess,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Thanks for the information. That's what the forum is for, sharing information and making friends.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

GOTTOYS

Read about them on a Wildcat, Forest River brand forum. Sounds like they are having lots of problems getting a consistent temp out of them. Most of them are bring the trailer back in to replace it with a std water heater...Don