Bathroom gets too hot

jerwen

Has anyone switched the heating vent in the bathroom to a damper type vent? If so, what size and where did you buy it?
I have a 2012 North Trail 26rlss and the bathroom get way too much heat while the bedroom gets much less. Maybe a damper type would help.
Thanks for any help,
Jerry

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it's a 4x10 vent, you can find them at just about any home center, like HD or Lowe's. If it's a 2x10 vent, you might not be able to find an adjustable one. All of the vents in my 3670 have been changed to adjustable 4x10's.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
You could always remove the vent and using some good duct tape just cover part of the hole that you will not see.

danemayer

Home Depot sells 3 magnetic duct covers for a couple of dollars. If you want to block 1/3 or 1/2 of the duct, they can be cut to desired size.

But you might want to take a look at your furnace manual. It might warn against restricting the airflow.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We didn't have any trouble finding an adjustable vent. We also leave the WC door about half open unless it's in use. The A/C also blows pretty good there. Leaving it half open just helps distribute more heat and a/c when needed.

RuralPastor

3840R_DB.jpg
http://dwincorp.com/product_info.php?cPath=54&products_id=277

This is what I changed mine to. It works great. I also added another vent in the main living area, under the fridge.

RuralPastor

Here is the finished install of the dampered diffuser in the bathroom. I also added a vent to the living room. There was only one (by the front door). I installed a 4" takeoff on the plenum and a short piece of 4" aluminum duct to the new vent. What a difference it makes having another register in the main living area. As you can see, it barely fit. I noticed some models of North Trails/Calibers have a vent coming out beneath the oven. I have a cabinet door there.

IMG_3365.JPGIMG_3360.JPG

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We did the same to our North Trail (when we had it), replaced all the vents with adjustable ones.

Erika

lwmcguir

Our Bathroom is like a Sauna with the new adjustable vents closed in the Bed/Bath. Left the others as they came to try to get heat out in the Dining/Kitchen/Living areas. Talked to the furnace folks but they werent any help. You dont want to close them off to much or your furnace will really get hot. We are still concerned about how hot it gets at the Bath vents. Litteraly will burn your foot if you step on it when the furnace is running. Very poor air flow design.

jbeletti

Larry,

Just a suggestion for you on your '09 Augusta - this will take some work to do, but is worth considering. There is a small 2" heater hose coming off the furnace, feeding the underbelly. There is a 4" heater hose coming off the furnace, feeding your bathroom. Swap them. More heat to the underbelly - always nice in cold weather camping. Less heat to the bathroom (sauna!).

To do the swap, the hard part will be adapting the 2" hose to the sheet metal below your bathroom floor vent. I believe DwinCorp sells a reducer for that.

I have also suggested to the factory that we begin to change our units to this configuration going forward. No word on whether we will.

Jim

traveler44

Our bedroom got too hot and the livingroom stayed too cold until I removed the bedroom ducting from the back of the furnace plenum and ran a new duct to the livingroom. If you can get at the back of the furnace plenum you can switch the way you want the heat to run. We get enough heat from the bathroom register to heat the bathroom and the bedroom. I just didn't like the idea of limiting the flow of heat from any of the registers.

danemayer

I have also suggested to the factory that we begin to change our units to this configuration going forward.
Sounds like a good change Jim. The heat from our ducts is pretty unbalanced and we could sure use more in the underbelly.

lwmcguir

Larry,

Just a suggestion for you on your '09 Augusta - this will take some work to do, but is worth considering. There is a small 2" heater hose coming off the furnace, feeding the underbelly. There is a 4" heater hose coming off the furnace, feeding your bathroom. Swap them. More heat to the underbelly - always nice in cold weather camping. Less heat to the bathroom (sauna!).

To do the swap, the hard part will be adapting the 2" hose to the sheet metal below your bathroom floor vent. I believe DwinCorp sells a reducer for that.

I have also suggested to the factory that we begin to change our units to this configuration going forward. No word on whether we will.

Jim

Will give this a try. Makes sense. Thanks
Larry

traveler44

Darell,

So you added an additional floor register to the living room? Cool!

Jim
Yes! I ran the new duct to the livingroom entirely thru the inside of the Bighorn. Under the fridge-behind the cabinets and out thru a vent I installed in the end of the cabinet that faces the livingroom. I used a white, round, plastic vent instead of a register and it looks like it belongs there.

jbeletti

Yes! I ran the new duct to the livingroom entirely thru the inside of the Bighorn. Under the fridge-behind the cabinets and out thru a vent I installed in the end of the cabinet that faces the livingroom. I used a white, round, plastic vent instead of a register and it looks like it belongs there.

Wow - that's amazing. Way to think outside the box (or, inside the RV :)

Jim