New here and considering a Heartland North Trail....

FoCoNoCo

Hello all, new to these forums. We have been considering purchasing a TT for some time now, and have narrowed our search down to a few brands, but so far, the North Trail is at the top of our list. We are also considering Keystone Bullet Premier, Keystone Passport, and Crossroads Sunset Trail. The keystones are the bottom two on our list, with our top picks being the Heartland North Trail and Crossroads Sunset Trail. I do think that the CrossRoads unit may have a slight advantage in higher R-value insulation and a 2 year factory warranty, but would like to know what you all think of the Heartland products. I've been reading through boards here and at another website trying to gain as much info as possible. Thanks to all of you for any and all info.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello FoCoNoCo and welcome to the forum. This is a great place to share information.
I do not own a North Trail so I can't be specific on them. Some NT owners should give some input.
Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Like Dave, I'm not familiar with the specific of the North Trail but I can speak highly of Heartlands Customer Service. Is there another brand/manufacturer that takes part in and responds to owners through a forum such as this? Heartland also uses this forum as a tool for product improvement.
That all said, Welcome to the Forum. We hope you become a member of the Heartland Family one day.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We loved our first ever trailer, a 2008 NorthTrail. We didn't shop around, just fell in love with it when we walked in! Spent the next 2 years looking at the others, and didn't find anything we thought could compare. Upgraded to a 5ver for more space. Of what I've seen at the RV shows the last few years, the Sundet Trail is the only thing that comes close to a NorthTrail.

Good luck! And hope you become part of the Heartland family. :)

E

M

Mcreech

I just want to make a comment on the R-value committment....The North Trail uses a 2" sidewall with block foam insulation and we also use a 3.5" thick roof and a 3" thick floor all laminated and with block foam.....Here is the deal with R-Value..... R-value's are calculated by the thickness of the insulation. So for an example a 1.5" wall can't have more R-value then a 2" wall and also a 2" wall can't have more R-value then another 2" wall since the entire RV industry uses the same block foam insulation....So dont be fooled by th R-vaules. Go find out the thickness of each part and if they arent as thick as the NT, then there R-value is mis-leading...I hope this hepls you. Mike C

RuralPastor

We have a 2011 Caliber (a North Trail on steroids) 265RLS. I can tell you firsthand that the more we use this trailer, the more we like it. And, the more I compare it with others on the market, the move value I see in the purchase we made. Simply put: everything is as advertised. We have spent over 100 nights in the trailer, pulled it 10,000 miles through rain, wind, and even highway 10 in Manitoba (rough enough to knock the fillins' outta your teeth). We have camped in temperatures from 20 to 105. Like any other purchase, trailers require some basic maintenance to make them work for you. I can't speak for Heartland's customer service because we have never had to use it! But I do know that, if you do, Heartland will be there. This of this...WHO (see above) is already communicating with you...and you haven't even spent a dime?!!! That says a lot.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Love ours and Heartland customer service/support is second to none. Good luck.

pegmikef

I too recommend the North Trail. We have the 26LRSS and have had zero problems. It is relatively light weight and is very nice to tow (with a weight distribution hitch). We have towed ours all over Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and southern Colorado. Not many TTs we looked at have the pull out bike/cargo rack which is really handy for bikes or any other cargo (I carry my generators on it while boondocking). If you plan on camping in the warmer climates, I do recommend the 15K air conditioner (an upgrade option from 13.5). I think the quality is great and better than all I looked at in the price and size range. Good luck.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
2 years and many trips in our North Trail and we love it. Never been in the shop. Great Value.
Good Luck!

lorax

Welcome to the Heartland Forum. Having owned four travel trailers, Heartland's is the best and my Keystone Zeppelin (now Passsport) was the worst. The Manufacturer makes as much of a difference as the dealer. Good luck with your new trailer.
Ted

Manzan

Bought our NT 21FBS almost a year ago, Pulled it just over 5K miles had a problem with the axles and that was taken care of without a problem. Love the trailer. Better than the two previous TT we had by a long shot. Pulls great, better made. Can't beat'm. Helps to have a good dealer, but if you don't, Heartland is there to help and they do.

PeternLiane

Hello all, new to these forums. We have been considering purchasing a TT for some time now, and have narrowed our search down to a few brands, but so far, the North Trail is at the top of our list. We are also considering Keystone Bullet Premier, Keystone Passport, and Crossroads Sunset Trail. The keystones are the bottom two on our list, with our top picks being the Heartland North Trail and Crossroads Sunset Trail. I do think that the CrossRoads unit may have a slight advantage in higher R-value insulation and a 2 year factory warranty, but would like to know what you all think of the Heartland products. I've been reading through boards here and at another website trying to gain as much info as possible. Thanks to all of you for any and all info.

Our top two picks were the same as yours, the North Trail and the Crossroads Sunset Trail. The weights are about the same. The walls are are the same. The North Trail has a much better roof and floor. We camped in the middle of November. The temperature outside was down in the teens and 20's. I walked around in bare feet in the North Trail, My feet were warm. I couldn't that in my SOB. The flooring alone is much better in the North Trail. Everyone who comes into our North Trail love the wood work in it. We love our North Trail and can not wait till camping season starts. Two and a half more months, but whose counting LOL. You can PM me if you want to.

FoCoNoCo

Wow! Thank you all for the quick responses. I'm gathering quite a bit of info from all of you and this website. I have read a lot of posts on this website about problems, however, I understand that anything assembled from thousands of parts can have problems. I also know that most of the time, people are quick to voice complaints, but strictly posting a positive experience doesn't happen as much. But the main thing that I have been able to gather is that for the most part, Heartland has stood behind their product and taken care of the issue. I have of a few other companies that do this, but Keystone doesn't appear to be one of them, so thinking that the Passport and Bullet will be dropping off of the short list rather quickly, and not really considering ANY Forest River products.... Thanks again for all of the great info so far.

archbarb

Our first TT was 2009 North Trail 26RKS. We looked at so mant TT's that they started to all run together. One day we stopped off at a dealer in the Savannah, Ga., area and they had just gotten in a North Trail. Once we stepped in, the DW and I knew this was the one. It just seemed so solid and well built.

We sold it two years later when we upgraded to our BC 3250TS. During that time we never had any problems or issues with it!!!!!

Archie

olyfire

Bought our 32BUDS North Trail April of 2010. Had some problems but with a few dealer visits and contact with Heartland C/S all was fixed.
We have thousands of miles on our unit and love it. This is our fourth RV and by far our favorite.
When people talk about Heartland customer service they are not exagerating, they were great to work with.

Last edited:

GoinNorth

We love our 28BHS Caliber. We also considered Keystone Bullet Premier, however too much $. That left the toss up between the Caliber & Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve. Each had features that we liked, and we ended up happily with the Caliber. Funny that if the fit & finish wasn't so poor on the Sunset Trail that we drove two hours to check out, we probably would have bought it! Had the Caliber in for 1 warranty issue, that was promptly taken care of without problem.

Saildogs

We can only echo the positive comments from others. Our 24RBS was ordered from a floorplan at an RV show in February 2010 with delivery in April. The TT is everything we hoped it would be and so far we have traveled in MD, PA, WV, VA, NC and SC and it is a dream to tow both in the mountains and in flatlands. A couple of very minor warranty isues were quickly resolved by our dealer, who is just great, in the time we've owned the TT. If we decide to move up, the first choice will be Heartland.

SueL

Just agreed on purchase of 21 FBS Caliber and can't wait for warmer weather! We are picking it up at the end of the month. We were also seriously considering the Outback Kangaroo 230, and from comments on this forum I am feeling very glad that we decided on the North Trail. Looking forward to all the expertise to be gleaned from this forum. Thanks everyone.

psjh

I am new and am considering a Heartland product based on this forum and comments of others. Right now I am looking at a Keystone Vantage (great discounts in price) and a North Trail or Wilderness. I have a 3/4 ton diesel pickup so weight is not a problem but would like the highest quality trailer less that 28 feet; I want to get into state and federal parks. Airstream is out of the budget. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.