outside scare lights

jimmar

We have a new 2011 Elkridge and we can't find the switch for the outside scare lights. There is no switch for them in the cabinet beside the tv. We have a remote but don't see the scare lights option on it. Can anyone help?

Crumgater

In our Elkridge, we have two switches in the main cabinet with all the other switches - one for ODS and one for DS (off-door-side and door-side security lights, respectively).

But, it sounds like you checked there already. We don't have a remote, so you must have a different setup than ours.

Do you have any switches near the door way - something you can reach from outside? We have two switches on the bottom stair to the bedroom - one for the light on the outside stairs, and one for an inside entry light.

Sorry, probably not much help.

jimmar

Thank you for your reply Crumgater - we have the exact same unit as yours - ElkRidge 29RKSA. It's strange that we have a remote and you don't but we definately do not have any switches in the unit for the scare lights. We have the 2 switches you referred to on the steps but they don't operate them either. Hopefully, someone with a remote can tell me what option to use.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
If they made a change and added a remote system or if that is a option, it is not at all uncommon for the same model to have something that another would not. As far as your switches, I would give Heartland Customer Service a call. I'm sure they can tell you where they are.

jimmar

We took your advice and called Heartland Customer Service. They said we need to reprogram our remote with the receiver/brain. Unfortunately, when asked where the receiver is located, they weren't really sure because it is not always in the same place in every unit. They told us several places to look, but to save time, if anyone has a 2011 Elkridge 29RKSA with a remote could they let me know where their receiver is located.

jimmar

We took your advice and called Heartland Customer Service. They said we need to reprogram our remote with the receiver/brain. Unfortunately, when asked where the receiver is located, they weren't really sure because it is not always in the same place in every unit. They told us several places to look, but to save time, if anyone has a 2011 Elkridge 29RKSA with a remote could they let me know where their receiver is located.

After several e-mails from Heartland, we were finally able to find the receiver/brain for the remote. Just in case anyone else is looking for it...ours is located in the upper cabinet to the left of the coat closet. Open the right hand cabinet and remove the decorative panel on the right side and the receiver is behind the decorative panel. In the later models, it is located in the bottom cabinet. Unfortunately, even after reprogramming the remote, we still do not have an option for the outside scare lights. I am now thinking we may not have the right remote - back to Heartland!

Broncofan

Ours is on the remote it's the light icon on the upper left of remote just push it once and the light should turn on,took us a while to figure it out nobody showed us when we bought it.Hope this helps!

PeternLiane

On a side topic. People really keep those scare lights on to long. Some even keep them on all night long. I wish that they would use them only when needed then turn them off.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
On a side topic. People really keep those scare lights on to long. Some even keep them on all night long. I wish that they would use them only when needed then turn them off.

I hardly every use mine. The one on the DS is placed to assist with tank draining and other stuff but, I only use them when really needed and then they go off. I like to stay in the dark at night and they give off way too much light for a quiet evening by the fire.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
About the only time I used my scare light was to turn on the ODS one so a late arriving camper (actually a tenter) next to me could set up. For working on the side of the rig after dark, the light in the UDC or basement has been enough. Our porch light is a motion sensor one, though.

jimmar

Thank you Broncofan - we finally found out that the light icon works the scare lights but unfortunately mine are still not working. We checked the bulbs and they are okay so it's possible the wiring is not connected or some other problem. I agree that the scare lights are too bright to keep on all the time and we seldom use them. In fact, we had our last camper for 4 years and only used the scare lights once but if we have them, we would like them to work. Soooo our quest continues to discover the problem. We were trying to avoid dragging the rig to the dealer for such a small issue.

jbeletti

jimmar,

I would start the troubleshooting at the relay board for the remote control system. This is likely the brain you referred to, if it's anything like what I have in my Landmark.

If you find this relay board, look for any wires that have become disconnected.

Jim