Question about towing

54Chev

Hello,
This question isn't really RV related but I thought someone may be able to help me out.
I'm looking to downgrade from my Chev Silverado 2500HD to a 2007 Chev Tahoe LT (towing package, V8). My problem is that I tow a 22ft car carrier trailer, tandem axle, with a curb weight of 3200lbs. Inside I tow an restored truck which is 4000lbs. Since the gross towing weight of the Tahoe is 7500lbs and the combined weight of the trailer and truck would be 7200 lbs. Is this weight too close to the gross towing weight for that type of vehicle? I've only ever owned and towed with full size pickups so I'm unsure how it will perform.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

jimtoo

Hi 54Chev,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a lot of great people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed. I did move your post to a better area regarding towing.

I'm sure someone will jump in soon with their ideas.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bruce11

The gross towing limit of the Tahoe needs to include weight of hitch, cargo and passengers. Stick with the truck. We starting rving with a 2008 toyota seq platinum 5.7 liter. The engine and tranny were fine, but short wheel base and frame made towing our 7000 lbs travel trailer interesting esp on the highway. The rear end absorbed enough tension that our L brackets bent 45 degrees and the tow vehicle suspension starting chirping after towing app 2000 miles (several trips combined). Toyota initially stated the towing limit as 10000 lbs in 2008, but down graded to 7400 lbs in 2010. From driving experience 7400 was more realistic. After several incidents of scary swaying, being pushed around by winds and 18 wheelers we traded the suv for a 2011 ford 250 diesel. The difference is crazy. The wife will tow with the truck. We loved our SUV esp taxi for kids & events, but for us the risk was not worth it. Good luck!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had a 2001 Yukon for quite a while towing a 27ft TT with right at 1000# on the tongue (forward big slide out). I know I was probably over on all capacities but it handled well & stopped pretty good also. It had the towing pkg so trans & oil coolers were there. Your trailer won't have that much tongue weight so you should be fine. I'm assuming you are using a W/D hitch and anti sway???

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Don't do it. I had a new 07 Tahoe 4x4 w.5.3l v8, the rear ends are the weak link. I burned up the rearend towing a 24' enclosed car hauler from Amarillo w/head wind to so.calif. (trailer weight 3700#, loaded w/viper 3400#). My 2010 Ram's rearend over heated towing the same rig so I upgraded the Diff. cover with a Mag-hytec. Note... never towed over 62 mph.

lorax

My experience towing with a vehicle that is close to the max wasn't good. First, a new set of brakes every year on the front. Then, the tow vehicle's weight as compared to the total made the towing on the highway dicey as the "dirty air" from semis would push the trailer around. I now tow under my F-150's capacity and it is more relaxed towing and I've got over 40K on my front brakes. Oh, I traded my 2003 Tundra for a 2009 Ford F-150 after the brakes went out as we descended the Independence Pass in CO in a May snow storm. Too much excitement for this old boy.

Ted

DW_Gray

I encourage you to read and apply the information as told in the article that is shown in my signature below.