rear patio

jaybrewer

the camper we are looking at does not have the rear patio option - the salesman said you could not order one that it had to come installed from the factory - has anyone made their own or found an after market kit - thanks jay

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Hi Jay,

When the Patio is ordered from the Factory - I believe that they install a different door that is engineered to support the weight and point load to use it as a patio. So other than replacing the door I do not believe that this is recommended. What model of Cyclone are you looking at?

Kevin

71stang99

There was a least one member who installed the chains to support the door in the horizontal postition. That is what I was planning to do as my 300c does not have a patio option but I like the idea of the patio or at least the sitting area, I could care less about the netting as its mostly cosmetic in my opinion.

recumbent615

I was thinking the same thing - but when I asked, I was warned by Heartland that the Door on the 3010 would not support the point load ( The load of a chair with someone sitting) with out the potential for door failure. SO I decided to forgo the Patio idea to safeguard my door. I have not looked into the engineering of the door or what it might take to beef it up to support the load.

Kevin

Last edited:

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
We sell the Patio option as a complete kit for a couple different reasons. The first and most important is the outer perimeter framing of the ramp door is box tube thicker gage steel. The standard ramp door frame isn't near as strong as the one that is included with the ramp door patio kit. Because of that and you have the cables pulling on the framing with a lot of force you risk the chance of bending the ramp door framing which would then in turn not allow your ramp door seal properly while in the closed position. We also include more pinch free springs to accommodate for the additional weight in the ramp door. The ramp door patio kit also has a layer of metal that is added during the lamination process to prevent furniture from poking holes into the ramp door. The railing kit is code and we must have something there for a guard railing. Some new features that have recently been added are the new rear electric awning that covers your patio area. We also have the ALL NEW exclusive 3 - season wall. This takes the place of the pull down screen in the ramp door patio kit. It is a see through wall that works like a giant patio door. It actually slides open in the middle so that you can walk out to your patio and then seal off the garage without putting up your ramp door. When it is time to load your toys the entire wall is hinged on the out side edges and allows you to open from the middle the wall like a "Barn Door", another heartland first that can not be shopped.ultimate Patio 2.JPGultimate patio 3.jpg

recumbent615

AJ, Thank you for that Clarification - I know that I did not have all the facts from my conversation last year. Can the Kit be purchased from Heartland for the units that support it?

Again thanks for chiming in with the MFG details.

Kevin

AJJONES

Any thing can be purchased, but it would be VERY expensive (not only the kit but shipping very large items, and labor to swap framing and ramp door). I wouldn't recommend going that route; however what I have seen a lot of people in the camp grounds do is take a couple bottle jacks on the outside corners of the ramp door, which would not stress the framing on the ramp door.

71stang99

Using bottle jacks or some other support like floor jack which would have a larger support area for the door would be ok. If one is worried about chairs poking the door just put some support under the chair legs (shoring) to disperse the load and lessen the PSI on the door, the same concept could be used for the floor jack or bottle jack too. I understand the code rational so the railing is forced but something that wouldnt be needed in my situation. So if the main door is too expensive what about adding the improved 'barn door' to replace the screen mesh? Would it be possible to add additional bracket(s) to the mounting areas for additional support so that the door doesnt warp or the frame area bends?

isenpedot

What about adding the awning on the back if we got the patio option but they didn't have one with rear awning? Is that possible and how much would it be?

AJJONES

the camper we are looking at does not have the rear patio option - the salesman said you could not order one that it had to come installed from the factory - has anyone made their own or found an after market kit - thanks jay

The salesman told you correct, and thatyou must order the rear awning from the factory to have it added to the back.

Howdy

I was thinking the same thing - but when I asked, I was warned by Heartland that the Door on the 310 would not support the point load ( The load of a chair with someone sitting) with out the potential for door failure. SO I decided to forgo the Patio idea to safeguard my door. I have not looked into the engineering of the door or what it might take to beef it up to support the load.

Kevin

Seems like a smart idea. A large dealer tod me the other day while pricing out options on a 3010 that the rear patio option is not going to be available for a few months. Not just for the Cyclones, but for the Fuzions as well as others that use that same door. Sounds like there needs to be some further engineering to be worked out.​

Does anyone know if the heartland 2012 Torque ramp, originally without patio cables, is strong enough to hold if adding the cables after market?

travis_g

AJ is it possible to change out the 3season wall with the pull down screen? I find the 3 season wall annoying. :)

vakthund

Does anyone know if the heartland 2012 Torque ramp, originally without patio cables, is strong enough to hold if adding the cables after market?
I'm assuming the Torque uses the same ramp as the Cyclone's and the ramps are different depending if the unit was orders with or without the rear deck option.