Remote Control

Jack Sims

I have a Landmark Grand Canyon and would like to be able to raise or lower the front of the camper via wireless remote control from the cab of my truck. Right now there is a momentary switch on the front of the camper that controls the hydraulic pump raising or lowering the camper depending on the position the switch is held in. Has anyone done this? If so please explain.

jbeletti

Hi Jack,

Sorry - I had no idea of that limitation. I am not aware of other brands out there that will control your hydraulic pump.

Jim

Pulltab

Jack Sims said:
Jim: Thank you for your reply, but the current model of Zaxis remote control does not work on the hydraulic landing gear on my Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon. Do you know of any other Remote that will work?

Curious, what makes it not compatitable with your hydraulic unit. I would assume the same unit is in most Heartlands. It is just a matter of making contact on the electrical side.:confused::confused:

jbeletti

Here's what Westhaver Associates say in the FAQs on their website:

Can the Zaxis be used to control my hydraulic landing gear?

Our current Zaxis, Model WAZ-30AX1 is for standard single motor 5th wheel landing gear jacks (non-hydraulic.) However, we are developing a Zaxis that is compatible with hydraulic landing gear. We will announce the new system on our website when it is released.

Pulltab

Interesting, I just don't see the limitation of operating the pump motor with the unit.:confused: Obviously they make the unit and would know but it sure puzzles me.

Hello to all,

The Zaxis as you have discovered, is designed to operate only single motor electric landing gear systems. I'll try to explain why the current Zaxis cannot control your hydraulic landing gear system.

The differences between the single motor landing gear systems and the hydraulic landing gear systems are:

1) The single motor landing gear systems only require that you reverse the polarity of the power applied to the motor to extend or retract the landing gear. The power to drive the landing gear motor is passed through the OEM landing gear rocker switch and then to the landing gear motor. The OEM rocker switch in this scenario is both a power handler and a controller.

2) The hydraulic landing gear systems typically share a single hydraulic drive pump with the slide-outs and so one or more blocking valves must be installed to route the hydraulic pressure to the appropriate system (landing gear, bedroom slide-out, living room slide-out etc.) The OEM rocker switch in this scenario is only a controller. The power (and power reversal) is handled by a solenoid typically mounted directly to the hydraulic pump.

We do however have a system that can control your hydraulic landing gear. Our Maxis Unified Control System and Remote Control was designed to control both single motor landing gear systems and hydraulic landing gear systems. In fact the Maxis can control virtually any RV accessory. We accomplished this by separating the control and power handling functions. The Maxis itself is the controller and our M-Point modules are the power handlers. By combining the Maxis with the appropriate M-Point module, you can control any RV accessory.

The Maxis control panel understands how to do only two things:
1) Select a device to be controlled (via the LCD display menu.)

2) Signal the selected device to perform either a positive or negative action. The positive or negative action can be extending or retracting a slide-out, raising or lowering the landing gear, turning a light On or Off etc.

The M-Point modules understand how to do only two things:
1) Control the power for a specific type of accessory.

2) Respond to a signal from the Maxis control panel.
Having said all of the above, we are currently working on a second generation Zaxis that will use the same technology employed by our Maxis. The second generation Zaxis will be able to control any RV accessory just like the Maxis but it will have a less sophisticated package (no LCD menu system and no local control buttons) and will be limited to controlling a maximum of 2 RV accessories. However, this system may be all that you need if you want to control only your hydraulic landing gear and your slide-outs. The release date for the new Zaxis hasn't been determined yet.

I hope this was helpful to you in understanding our Zaxis and Maxis systems and their capabilities.

Wes Westhaver
443-538-7819
Westhaver Associates, Inc.
Recreational Vehicle Products
http://www.westhaverassociates.com

Screwed up our Slideout

When I deployed our slide out using the rocker style switch by the hydraulic motor, the Door Side slide out had interference with the door that on the opposite side of the sink. It nearly ripped off that door and did $1200 worth of damage to the door and the exterior of the unit. I would personally think twice before doing the remote control.

Pulltab

Thanks for the explanation Wes, that makes it a lot more clear now.

HJ, what you are saying is exactly right. But if you were just using the control for the leveling of the trailer which I think was the original intention that would seem quite feasable. Sorry you suffered so much damage. We have a friend who had the same thing happen to a brand new unit they bought except it was in the bedroom.

K

Ken Washington

hjdiamond2,
What they are talking about is the landing gear, not the slides! I for one prefer getting out of the truck to put the landing gear down.

Ken

Pulltab

Ken, I think the idea was to make hooking up easy more than putting the gear down. You could jump in truck and back up to hitch and then remotely raise the trailer to the height without having to get out of the truck. At least that was my thought and how I would use it.:)

Forrest Fetherolf

Here is my very inexpensive alternative to the Zaxis or Maxis to establish hitch pin height without getting in and out of the truck a bunch.

To unhook rv:
Lower landing gear to disconnect hitch pin, drive out, attach metal clip to hitch pin and adjust string to touch the ground, remove string once adjusted and store.

To hook up rv:
Attach metal clip to hitch pin in same location, raise or lower landing jacks until string just touches ground, back in and hook up, and remove string and store.

Attachments

• Hitchpin002.JPG
    Hitchpin002.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Hitchpin001.JPG
    Hitchpin001.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 24

Forrest Fetherolf

pulltab,

I was going to market these for $99.95 each plus shipping...............but now you know my secrets........................go build your own for 50 cents or less. Most everyone will have enough similar components hidden in their garage to duplicate this rather difficult project.;) ;) ;) ;)

Forrest

Uncle Rog

I have been just using a tape measure, the only thing is "remembering" the height after a few days / libations. Good idea Forrest !

Forrest Fetherolf

Unclerog,

I'm in the same position as you, trying to remember what I was supposed to remember is getting more difficult to remember. That is why I need all these visual aids like this one to help remember to remember.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Forrest

K

Ken Washington

I think that in view of safety, I would rather get out of the truck and check to see if tail gate is going to hit anything or if a child has gotten in the way. I have seen children and grown ups to close and under front of fifth wheel while it is being raised and lowered! This just sounds like a big boy toy but that's just the way I look at it! Please don't take offense to my thoughts.

Ken

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Forrest Fetherolf said:
Unclerog,

I'm in the same position as you, trying to remember what I was supposed to remember is getting more difficult to remember. That is why I need all these visual aids like this one to help remember to remember.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Forrest

I guess thats like in my shop I put things in a special place so I can find it later. Then when I go to fetch it,I can't remember that special place. I now keep a note pad to list all those hidden special places. :rolleyes: --Ken