Suburban water heater

jbstout

I have a North Country 29RKS. It has a Suburban SW6DE gas/electric water heater. The gas works fine but the electric side quit. I changed the anode rod -- it was shot. The fuse is good, as the water pump is on the same one and that works. I disconnected one side of the element, and got a good continuity reading, but haven't checked for voltage (didn't think of it!). I pressed both 'reset' buttons to no avail. Is there anything a moderately-handy fellow can check to see if he can repair it? Or should I just go to the dealer? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks -- Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jbstout, welcome to the forum. You should get some ideas here.
After you check the wires for current, be sure to check the breaker if you do not have around 120 volts.
I have had my water heater quit and when I checked for the proper resistance in the element, it checked out as good. But I had 120 volts to it. I changed out the heating element and all was good again.
So if you have current to the heating element, change it out.
On a side note, the water pump fuse has nothing to do with the water heater.

Peace
Dave

jbstout

Thanks, Dave. I'll check the voltage tomorrow and see what happens. (My unit is not stored at home -- requires a short drive.) Was it difficult to get/replace the element?

Thanks again -- Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It was not difficult to change the element. You will need to get a water heater element socket wrench. They can be found at any store that sells plumbing parts.
Be certain that when you buy an element it is the same wattage, or nearly the same and the same voltage. 120 volt.
When you change it out there is a rubber gasket. Put a little plumbers lube on it to prevent twisting it as it get tightened.

Peace
Dave

jbstout

Thanks again. We want to head out next week for a few days, and I don't think I can get it fixed at the dealer's by then. So I'll probably be giving it some attention 'on the road'. There's a Camping World not too far from where we'll be. But, maybe I'll just use LP until we get back.

Jim

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Thanks again. We want to head out next week for a few days, and I don't think I can get it fixed at the dealer's by then. So I'll probably be giving it some attention 'on the road'. There's a Camping World not too far from where we'll be. But, maybe I'll just use LP until we get back.

Jim

Jim... both lowes and home depot carry the electric heating element (at least the ones near our home). They are very easy to change out as long as you have the tool Dave mentioned. Good Luck