Southco Keyless Entry

JJOren

We experienced a problem with the Southco Keyless Entry system on our new Landmark this past weekend. We locked it when we left...when we returned it was totally dead...made no attempt to unlock the door.

Fortunately, we had our keys with us....and we put them in the locks and just started turning and it eventually came open so there is obviously some sort of 'fail safe' but at this point, we haven't a clue what it is. Checked the printed info in our owners packet and it mentions nothing about a failsafe. Anybody know what that is?

The lock isn't working at all at this time and whether or not we even bother to fix it depends on whether or not their is a fail safe for when it fails. Pretty sad actually...wonderful feature if it works but can't afford to sleep on the street corner if it decides to check out on us.

danemayer

The failsafe is the key. The deadbolt that secures the door is moved by either turning the key, or activating the solenoid attached to the deadbolt.

If the contacts on the door get dirty, there's not enough power transferred to the solenoid to open the deadbolt. If the battery in the keypad dies, it won't operate the solenoid. If your RV battery is dead, there's no power to operate the solenoid.

If the solenoid doesn't get activated, the only other mechanism is to turn the key.

I use the keypad, but also carry keys with me as a backup. I've had to clean the door contacts several times, so I know it would be easy to get locked out. I keep the 2nd set of keys in the truck, and in a pinch, I could call Onstar to open the truck so I could get to the extra set of keys.

If you don't have the 2nd set of keys, you can get a new set made by a full service locksmith.

lorax

Ditto! I love mine but....I have a back up plan. Depending where you are camping, check the contacts first.
Ted

JJOren

OK, just for clarity, what I am hearing is that the keyless locking mechanism, when it is operating properly, closes the dead bolt. And, the key is always capable of opening the deadbolt, even if the keyless fails and the power fails. Is that correct?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
OK, just for clarity, what I am hearing is that the keyless locking mechanism, when it is operating properly, closes the dead bolt. And, the key is always capable of opening the deadbolt, even if the keyless fails and the power fails. Is that correct?
Yes.

Peace
Dave

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We experienced a problem with the Southco Keyless Entry system on our new Landmark this past weekend. We locked it when we left...when we returned it was totally dead...made no attempt to unlock the door.

Fortunately, we had our keys with us....and we put them in the locks and just started turning and it eventually came open so there is obviously some sort of 'fail safe' but at this point, we haven't a clue what it is. Checked the printed info in our owners packet and it mentions nothing about a failsafe. Anybody know what that is?

The lock isn't working at all at this time and whether or not we even bother to fix it depends on whether or not their is a fail safe for when it fails. Pretty sad actually...wonderful feature if it works but can't afford to sleep on the street corner if it decides to check out on us.

Just went through this. I called Southco who said to call Lippert.
Called Lippert and before I could finish explaining what the problem was, Lippert rep. said they would send a new pad. The new pad has to be "enrolled" to the lock mechanism but it is pretty simple. Once it is enrolled, you can set whatever code you want. I do have the instructions on how to enroll the pad from Southco if you would like them.

It seems Lippert stored the doors outside with the keypad in a baggie taped to the door. When it rained, the pads would sit in water inside the bag.

JJOren

Thanks for the info Larry! I'll start with Lippert on Monday....LOL!!!

Fascinating that it turns up on two Landmark MESA's!!!

Thanks to all for the info!!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
You might want to try and replace battery first. I did. Lasted one week but maybe yours is different

Wharton

Our solenoid died and we called Lippert, $105 for replacing it. For now the key works great..................

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I too have experienced problems with the keyless entry pad. I have a 2012 BH and had to replace the keyless pad three times in 6 months. It was going through batteries every two weeks. I feel the unit is not water tight and after a heavey rain or even washing my rig the unit shorted out. The last failure I brought the BH to the dealer and they even had problems getting the system to stay functional. I asked for it to be changed out for a newer keyfobe system but that was not an option. Unit now in winter storage at dealer and I can't wait to see if it works or there is still a problem.

JJOren

Gosh! It looks like the Southco option is one that sounds great but is having more than it's share of problems. At this point, I'm not sure if I'll even bother to repair it. Sad but it appears the design is faulty. Otherwise, there wouldn't be this many problems with them.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We've had our Grand Canyon with the Southco lock on it since November and haven't had a problem with it....yet. Having said that, I'm sure it will quit working tonight.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I think it's a hit or miss type of thing. After two early battery replacements, it has now worked all last summer and this winter with no problems.

An additional thought. I've modified the way it attaches to the wall of the trailer. When it was double sided taped to the wall, water could run down the wall and weep (be drawn into) into the keypad. I used velcro strips to attach the keypad to the wall. Now when it rains, water runs down the wall, around the velcro, but because the keypad is just a little further off the wall, doesn't weep into the keypad.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Gosh! It looks like the Southco option is one that sounds great but is having more than it's share of problems. At this point, I'm not sure if I'll even bother to repair it. Sad but it appears the design is faulty. Otherwise, there wouldn't be this many problems with them.

John, I also had issues with mine but once the key pad was replaced, it has worked without issues. I did just have to change the battery but it lasted for about 6 months. So I am happy with that.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've modified the way it attaches to the wall of the trailer. When it was double sided taped to the wall, water could run down the wall and weep (be drawn into) into the keypad. I used velcro strips to attach the keypad to the wall. Now when it rains, water runs down the wall, around the velcro, but because the keypad is just a little further off the wall, doesn't weep into the keypad.

I was also thinking about doing this, just have not done it yet. I was also thinking that with it velcro'd to the sidewall I could just remove it when it was raining or when I was traveling down the road.

JJOren

Roger that Michael....well, maybe I'll have to call Lippert!...:cool:

I terms of the moisture, I doubt that is the issue, although anything is possible I guess. When I picked up the unit I noticed that it was a bit on the loose side. It had already been removed once. I remounted it with double sided tape and then used a thin bead of clear silicon all the way around.

At the time, I wasn't aware that there was a battery that would have to be replaced that soon. With that in mind, the velcro idea as some appeal!

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Count me in the group having problems with the Southco Keyless entry. We have been waiting 3 weeks for our dealer to get ANOTHER replacement. Like the previous posts have noted, my key pad worked approximately 4 months without any problem. After that I have replaced the battery 4 times with each replacement period being 3-14 days, with the last two tomes being 2 days each. one thing you need to remember when you change the battery out and you use the key - you have to use the key to return the lock to the last position it was in prior to the battery going dead. If we did not do this the lock would click but the dead bolt would not move.

Good luck with your ! ! :(

JJOren

That's the answer I needed Tom! I couldn't figure out why my 'failsafe' didn't appear to work when we tried it. I didn't return the bolt to the 'last position!" THANKS for that! I think someone else said it earler in this thread but it didn't "click" in my head!! I'll probably try replacing the battery again and see what happens but I don't think I'm going to get into the "replace and replace again" drill. Wasting time with that just creates negative feelings about fantastic rig!!! I'd rather forget it and move on...LOL

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to consider is that when changing out the battery you will want to clean the terminals and then give a little dab of dielectric grease on them.
After our keypad was replaced it has been going 17 months now on the same battery. And we use it a lot.

Peace
Dave