New MPG 183

RAZORBILL

I introduced myself in the General area before I knew there was a MPG specific area. Anyway, we picked up a 2011 MPG 183 last month. It's our first TT as we have always been tent campers. But with age comes the desire to get off the ground. I'll still sneak out to go tent camping though!

I tow with a 2011 Nissan Frontier. We only towed it home from the dealer (100miles) but the combo worked well together. I sensed a bit of sway when large trucks passed and a bit of see-saw action going over dips at highway speeds so I have ordered a Equalizer hitch to hopefully negate those effects. We are currently in south FL but will be moving to Washington state in June so I have a 3400 mile towing journey in front of me. Heading out for our inaugural camping trip next weekend so we'll see how everything works out for us.

And since everyone likes pics:

001-4.jpg

004-8.jpg

Crumgater

Very Nice! Congratulations!

We look foward to welcoming you when you get to Washington.

Have a safe journey!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What a nice looking combo and congratulations. Hope the stablilizer will work in that it's been a long time since we have pulled a TT. Travel safely and enjoy.

kb0zke

Welcome to the mpg family, Razorbill. We use an Equal-i-zer for towing, and I've not noticed any bad manners. Due to the slope of the ground here at home, I don't hook up the bars until I get the mpg out in front of the house. When we return, I have to remove the bars before I can park the trailer. There is a noticeable drop at the hitch when the bars aren't present, so I can imagine that if we tried going down the road that way I'd notice the trailer a lot more.

MountainTop

After recently totaling our MPG 181, we're now searching for a 183 on this side of the world (we live in GA). Hope you enjoy your new unit as much as we did ours, at least for the 2 weeks we lived in it before the accident.

jbeletti

After recently totaling our MPG 181, we're now searching for a 183 on this side of the world (we live in GA). Hope you enjoy your new unit as much as we did ours, at least for the 2 weeks we lived in it before the accident.

Not too close to you, but I saw an MPG at Ron Hoover RV in Houston the other day. Not sure if it's a 183. Might check into it as there aren't likely many out there on dealer lots.

Jim

Tumblebug

I tow my MPG 183 with 2009 crew GMC serria 1500 4x4, I notice the similar attributes, towing with out a equalizing hitch. I described it as a squishy feeling, not real firm pulling at highway speeds. I put on the Equalizer hitch and it tows great. Have been a couple of thousand miles and I am well pleased. The hitch is just the ticket! Good Travels! David and I have the same hitch, and at the Branson Rally found out we have the same dealer.

crennpage

Hi Razorbill, congrats on your new MPG 183. I just got one myself last month. Oh, and sorry Jim and Mountaintop, but I'm afraid I'm the guy that bought the last 183 that Ron Hoover had on their Houston lot. I think the other one was a 185 and it still may be there. My TV is an 06 Ford Expedition 5.4 L V8 and it seems to tow the MPG just fine. I haven't experienced any sway difficulties nor does it seem to me that I'm in need of an WDH. I'd attach a photo of the pair but I can't quite figure out to do that here. However, as I always prefer to err on the side of caution I ordered an Equal-i-zer hitch (600 lb) anyway from Ron Hoover this afternoon.

marc515

Congratulations and best wishes for many safe and happy camping trips. We have an MPG-181 and tow with a Nissan Pathfinder. After a lot of research we ended up with a weight distribution hitch, and the towing is much improved. We purchased the "E2" 6,000Lb WDH.

Corlando

Good luck on your cross country move. I am also in SoFlo...pull my MPG (about 1 year old), pull it with no prob with a KIA Sorento.

plumber54

Hi all'
We got our 2012 183 late in the season last year and got to take out short trip before NY parks close for thew season. We pull it with my 2011 Ranger that has the big v6 and put anti sway and load equil. hitch which makes a big diffrence going down the road. For Christmas we took it down to coastal North Carolina where our kids are. 963 miles each way with out any problems except for Rt 81 in Pa. tough patch of highway!! I think the 183 was a great choice for us with the exception of the bunks which the wife wanted so the grand kids could stay with us but the storage is well worth it!! I did pull well the whole way and the loss of gas milage wasn't that bad. I have already got a few reservations in and cant wait for the season to get started!!!!

RAZORBILL

Thank you for the welcomes and well wishes. We've have camped 3 different weekends so far and it has been great. No issues at all with the trailer. The Equalizer hitch has performed great and was well worth the money imo.