HELP! Our brand new 5er has been in warranty service for the last 7 months!!!

Susie

We are so frustrated and dont know what to do.

We purchased a 2011 Elk Ridge on July 31, 2011.

We did our PDI that same day and left our RV there for repairs. It had been there 'display' model in the showroom. The side of the dinette was split open, there was a rip in the sofa from a broken spring, the weather stripping on the rear door needed to be replaced, and a few other minor things. They assured us it was no big deal at the time of purchase and everything would be fixed.

Two weeks later, mid August we were called to come and get it. They said everything was done except the sofa which they had to order from the manufacture and it would take 8 weeks. They told us when it came in, we could come back and swap it out. We drove to pick it up from there after hours lot only to find the batteries were dead and they had removed the manual jack so we could not pick it up. The CO alarm was also going off, there were no paper tags and it was left unlocked.

We called on Monday and the dealer apologized and when we came back on Friday it was charged,had paper tags, had a jack handle and was ready to go.

We had the rv for three weeks. We camped two weekends and made a list of repairs that needed to be made. I called the dealer who told me they were 3 weeks out on service so it would be better and closer to me if we took it to another of their locations. They said when they got the couch in they would transfer it to the Rockwall store and they would install it for me. Again it was said like it was no big deal and they assured us it would all be handled between each store.

The last week of Sept we dropped it off at the closer location (same corp).

We were called the week before Thanksgiving and told it was ready. When we arrived less than half of the items on our list, that were also on their list were done. The dinette had pulled away from the wall and the side had split back open from a crappy 1st repair. They didn't address the 2 in gap along the back of the dinette at all and the 'new' repair on the dinette left 1/4" of unfinished, sharp wood exposed on the top side. There is a bolt in the slide that is pushing the sheet metal on the fender out, that was not addressed. They did replace the broken microwave with an advent (not the same brand we had) and re glued some of the plastic tarp that came loose. They told us if we wanted the dinette fixed 'right' they would have to order the parts from the manufacture and it would take 6-8 weeks. We, of course want our brand new RV fixed 'right' so we left it for the other 1/2 of the repairs(a blind stop, a valance(was not secured), and the sofa) they didn't get to.

The week after Christmas (6 weeks later) we call. The tell us the dinette is done. They tell us the door(cracked) is fixed. They tell us the sofa is still not done because the factory is refusing to warranty it a second time. They tell us because they already sent the sofa to the other office(who can't find it), they will not send them another. My husband informs them this is not OUR problem. They also tell us the factory said the problem with the bolt pushing the sheet metal out was just a factory defect and the factory rep would not authorize any repair of that. My husband said he wanted that in writing so when it does fail in a year or two we have recourse that they knew of an issue and refused to fix it. She said she will work on getting that info from her rep and finding the sofa.

Jan 10th 2012- I call corporate office of our dealer. I never get to talk to anyone but I leave a message and the service manager, who has been sitting on my rv for months calls me back and insures me it will be finished by the end of the week. That Friday, the 13th comes and goes. They tell me it they have all the parts to fix the dinette and it will be done by Friday the 20th (which they had already told me was done in Dec). I got a call on Jan 20th saying the parts for the dinette were wrong and they still dont have the sofa. They have put a rush on the with the manufacture and they will have them by next Friday(the 27th). The 27th, more excuses, UPS delay, it will be monday. On and on.

I get the call today at 3:00 that it is done but they close at 6 so we need to be there before then. We head over only to find it is not done. The sofa is done. The dinette appears to be done (it was getting dark). They added a section of square tubing to keep the bolt from pushing the sheet metal out. The door is still cracked and the stops for the blinds in the master are still broke.

All to say, as of today, Feb 3, 2012 they still have our RV and it is STILL not fixed. We have been making payments on this RV. We have had the RV in our possession 3 WEEKS out of the last 7 MONTHS!!

The corporate office of the dealer wont talk to me... what do I do? I will have an RV (if I ever get it back) with 4 months left of warranty.... 4 months!! We are so frustrated! Please help.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: HELP! Our brand new 5er has been in the shop for warrenty for the last 7 months!!!

Have you tried calling Heartland Customer Service directly about all of this? When you do, have your VIN number and a detailed list of what has transpired to quote from. Be polite and don't point fingers at HL...yet. This sounds more like a dealer fiasco than Heartland's fault.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: HELP! Our brand new 5er has been in the shop for warrenty for the last 7 months!!!

Exactly what John said. Heartland Customer Service is on Eastern time. Call first thing Monday.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

On edit, after re-reading your post, it sounds like the sofa was only repair on your repair list once, and they "lost" it. Did you ever get the initial repair or replacement?

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Suzie,

Unfortunately, we have had similar experiences with the dealer you are working with. Please call Heartland and see if they can recommend another dealer near you that can get these issues resolved more quickly.

PM me, if you like.

Erika

Susie

The sofa was just repaired this week. It was never repaired from the initial PDI in July. I don't know if they 'found' the one the were originally sent, payed for another or finally convinced heartland to send them another but when we went today it was done.

I have not called Heartland but I will do that on Monday. Thank you!

JJOren

Suzie

Do yourself a favor....stop fighting this and just call Heartland. We went through a similar experience with our Elkridge. Turned out to be a dealer issue. Heartland made things right! And, interestingly enough, the dealer is no longer selling Heartland!!!!

Pigme

You need to talk directly to Heartland and get your rig to an Authorized Warranty Repair Service Dealer. We had (have) similar problems with our "New" dealer demo Cyclone. We have owned for 10 months and only had it at home for 3 weeks. We have slept in it 3 nights. Since early October, our rig has been at an authorized site and HL has approved the repairs. We had multiple problems and broken items. Hopefully, we will finally pickup our rig this weekend. If you want to read our story, log into the Blog.
Anyway, go to the HL service site, send a letter, and email to customer service. Get HL to refer you to a service dealer and get your repairs authorized. Do not paid for anything; you will never get a refund from HL for any unauthorized repairs.

phix

This dealer owes you a one year premium paid for an extended warranty. There are lots of issues that you will not notice or become evident until you go camping. You have not really had possession of the camper since you have been paying for it. This dealer has taken away your joy. Obviously, very poor customer service and management and they have taken advantage of your patience.

Just wanted to support you in this.

MTPockets

Been reading these posts and contributing for a few months now... Seems like just about everything that needs to be done under warranty is best handled by the owner, or Heartland. I had a few warranty items and fixed them myself with some parts sent to me from Heartland. Each time The dealer just said, "Oh, I'm sorry, have you called Heartland?" - .. Just exactly what do the dealers provide for Heartland if Heartland has to provide the guidance and get involved to put things right? Seems like it's the dealers that give Heatland more of any negative image than they deserve.

aatauses

WE have had similar issues with dealers, but never with HL--we have called them for parts and they were there within a day or so and fixed myself. Dealers across the country seem to be in terested in selling and not service. Too many times we have had a dealer tell us that they could not get the part, once I called HL from their office and HL had never heard about the issue from the dealer----HL customer service is GREAT---call them and get some help.
al