Elkridge 35QSQB

We signed papers today and if all goes well will pick it up on the 19th. Tell me all the great things I need to know about it! THANKS

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jake and Wanda, welcome to the Heartland Family and Heartland Forum. This will be a great place to get and share information about your rig.
Be sure to check out the Heartland Owners Club and all the events on the Portal Page.
Congrats on the new Elkridge.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

Hi Jake and Wanda,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

When you go for delivery, please do a very good PDI, take notes and make sure everything is like you want it.

Enjoy your new unit and the forum.

Jim M

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Can't speak to the Ek Ridge specifically but here is a link to our first post after being owners if it's any help. As Jim said, make sure you do a thorough PDI and have fun.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/18195-first-trip-first-night

Sandie

Congratulations...we signed on our Elkridge 34RLSA on Jan 31st and our first trip is scheduled for Feb 12th. I cannot wait to get out there with it. I'll then let you know what we think. I know that there are always little tweeks that need to be worked out in the first year so we are definitely prepared for that but we are hoping that things go fairly well. Have fun with yours and travel safety. Is this your first RV? This is our 4th...2 tt's and now 2 fivers.

On another forum, we asked about our truck and we got several responses some good, some not, we have a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Durimax Allison Tran / Crew Cab. That we plan on pulling this 5er with. Our dealer told us we would not have a problem.

Sandie

On another forum, we asked about our truck and we got several responses some good, some not, we have a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Durimax Allison Tran / Crew Cab. That we plan on pulling this 5er with. Our dealer told us we would not have a problem.
I was concerned about that also but we were assured we would have no problem and that their dealership could be held accountable for selling us something that we could safety not pull. I'm not concerned about the towing weight of the fiver as much as the pin weight. We looked at the model your getting also but the pin was about 300# heavier than the one decided on. We have yet to hitch it up...this Friday will be the first time when we pick it up at the dealership.

Sandie

Oh...my mistake. You bought the bunk house. Thought it was the one with the island type kitchen which had the heavier pin weight. Yours is about 100# heavier than ours. Honestly, I still am a bit concerned over that pin weight, but we'll see how it goes on our upcoming trip.

olcoon

Welcome to the forum & congrats on your Elk Ridge! We own an Elk Ridge 27RLSS and love it. Your pin weight is 440 # heavier than ours & your dry weight is 3513 # heaver than ours. We have a 2500 Dodge with the Cummins, and we are well within our limits. One thing you might do is check out this thread. It's good for a lot of info & was created by one of our forum members DW_Gray. You'll need the info from the door post on your truck & from your owners manual.

philhyde

I was concerned about that also but we were assured we would have no problem and that their dealership could be held accountable for selling us something that we could safety not pull. I'm not concerned about the towing weight of the fiver as much as the pin weight. We looked at the model your getting also but the pin was about 300# heavier than the one decided on. We have yet to hitch it up...this Friday will be the first time when we pick it up at the dealership.

I urge you to compare the towing weights on your respective trucks and make sure you are safely within the limits. With all due respect, I would never believe what a dealer tells me. Unless you got specific details in writing, I can't see how they would be liable.

Looking at the specs on the RV...

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.p...ER&i=ER+35QSQB&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan

GVWR: 15,500
Dry Weight: 11,945
Hitch: 2105

I would be very surprised if the 2500HD would allow for a pin weight (truck payload) of 2105lb in addition to passengers, fuel, cargo. Taking the GVWR and applying the 80/20 rule, that gives a pin weight of 3100lbs. I've been doing extensive research and planning for our fifth wheel purchase, and that kind of weight needs a 1-ton dually (taking into consideration fuel, passengers, cargo).

Don't mean to be alarmist, but it's good to do your own research! :)

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
"JakeWandaWhite"

Taking the GVWR and applying the 80/20 rule, that gives a pin weight of 3100lbs.

All of this is good information but do consider not all campers load their rigs to max GVWR. Our Big Country loaded ready to camp is nearly 2000 lbs under (we do not carry water) the 15,500 lb GVWR when weighed at the locat CAT scales. Our pin weight is just under 2500lbs.

I sent you a PM with some additional information that may be helpful.

Best Wishes!

philhyde

All of this is good information but do consider not all campers load their rigs to max GVWR. Our Big Country loaded ready to camp is nearly 2000 lbs under (we do not carry water) the 15,500 lb GVWR when weighed at the locat CAT scales. Our pin weight is just under 2500lbs.

Understood! I see a lot of people towing fifth wheels with 3/4 trucks, and I wonder how many are riding that fine line of being barely legal. I have learned a lot and I think going on verbal advice of a deal (who just wants to sell a product) is a bad idea. Of course it's my own opinion.

Out of curiosity, what is your max payload? I would say you gotta be close with a pin weight of 2500.

Happy trails...

Well OUR 5er is sold and we are in the process now of getting our new ELKRIDGE! Pretty excited since it's getting nice outside and we are ready to go!

OK we pick up our new ElkRidge35QSBQ on Monday, We know the basics of what we need to do at our walk through, but what are some things we might overlook. Questions we need to ask. This is just our 2nd 5th Wheel. So ANY advice will be much appreciated! THANKS in advance!

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Check post #5 in this thread.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/23099-Bighorn-PDI-Checklist/page2

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We are going into our third season with our ER34QSRL and towing with a 2008 silverado 2500 diesel. Pulling is no problem at all, although I would recommend getting air bags which make a huge difference in handling and stability. Enjoy the new toy

Well it's home and packed! DH wants to get some airbags installed on the truck before we take it out. Although we towed it home from Texas, with no problem. He just wants the extra peace of mind.