Portable Air conditioner

tdharley

I was wrestling with the idea of installing a second ac unit and decided to go with a portable unit.

I recevied it today. It is a Sharp 9500 BTU unit with a built in dehumidifer.

I decided to go with a portable for a few reasons:

1. I do not need it all the time.
2. I did not want to lse my Fantastic fan
3. I can move it from room to room. We go to a dude ranch in July with no ac and can bring it there.
4. Noise. This unit is super quiet. Rated at 42 decibels on low.
5. I did not have to permenantly install it.

I plugged in and and am happy so far. For a test I ran the BH's ac and the Sharp at the same time and turned the microwave on for 3 minutes. I have a dedicated 30 amp outlet on the side of my house and every thing worked fine. Both units have been runnig on high now for 2 hours with an outside temp of 82.

I have not decided on how I am going to vent it yet but have a couple of idea. I might install a small window like the one on the rear side or find a good looking durable vent.

IMHO I think this is a good alternative to a second ac.

Heres the link to the unit

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16896111042

Pics below

Attachments

• AC unit shrunk.JPG
    AC unit shrunk.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 78

Uncle Rog

TDH, howdy, I hated to lose the fan too, but at these lat's the 13.5 BTU unit was about all I could do to keep up. Nice unit for your part of the country................Today was 100F...a dry heat of course..........

tdharley

Hey Rog

Yeah if I was in your area I would of gone for the rooftop ac. I just do not need it as much.

I am usually happy with the Fantatic fan just moving the air around.

tdharley

Vent

I came up with a nice looking & functional vent.

I used a 6" ceiling vent for a central AC system, see pics. It will serve as a AC vent or a dryer vent if I ever install a dryer. I installed it in the W/D area.

Attachments

• P7010290.JPG
    P7010290.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 79
  • P7010291.JPG
    P7010291.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 75

Uncle Rog

Nice install Tom, "looks like it grew there". Looks like the Horn is grounded for a while. It is 8:40 and still 90 outside. I'm afraid I would burn up the GMC trying to pull the grades out of here, hey maybe we'll go to the beach it is down hill and a little cooler.......be good