Furnace Filter

RuralPastor

A few weeks ago I posted about a mod for adding a hinged cover to access a furnace filter. I was finally able to post some pictures. One upside to this mod is that the noise from the furnace has been decreased.
IMG_3361.JPGIMG_3366.JPG

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Be careful of restricting air to the unit, you can do major damage as well as present a dangerous fire hazard. The restrictions of airflow with add on filters can present problems.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Be careful of restricting air to the unit, you can do major damage as well as present a dangerous fire hazard. The restrictions of airflow with add on filters can present problems.

I have wanted to do a similar addition but from all the information I can find, Suburban says no to the filter add-on as well as to restricted vents for the reasons rumaco posted. Keep a vigilant watch and let me know how it works!

Many thanks!

RuralPastor

Good points. However, much of what they say is usually scripted by lawyers and not common sense or HVAC principles. A simple differential gauge will easily tell the pressure drop across the filter. Mine shows none, and should considering the filter is new. In filters, size matters as does the composition of the media. Both are ultimately determined by CFM required. I would be more concerned about an accumulation of dust and debris in the combustion plenum (not chamber, it's sealed) than I would about restricting airflow. There's a reason they put them in residential and commercial units...and it's not so the cleaning crew has an easier job! Your advice to be "vigilant and watch" are wise. Both in your home and in the RV. Thanks.

I have wanted to do a similar addition but from all the information I can find, Suburban says no to the filter add-on as well as to restricted vents for the reasons rumaco posted. Keep a vigilant watch and let me know how it works!

Many thanks!

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
not to mention that the heater also has a lot of space to get air from - not just through that vent - I wanted to do the same but I have not found a filter to fit my RIG. I will keep looking.

Kevin