50amp @ 30amp Plugs

navyAZ1

Hi All, this may seem dumb but I had a thought the last time we were camping in a GA state park they only offer 30amp service in most parks but on each power box there is usually 2 30amp plugs. So, here's my question would it work to have a special pig tale that has 2 30amp male plugs on it going to 1 50amp female plug to hook up the camper, and do they sell such a thing if not I could make one? Just wondering why this wouldn't work to get the 50amp service from the parks and campgrounds that only offer 30amp service? I'm not totally lost when it comes to electrical things but thought I had better check before proceeding with this.:confused:

jimtoo

It will work only if the 30 amp and the 20amp are supplied by different circuits from the main power box. There have been a lot of post about this and I am not electrician, but before you spend the money, you really need to do some more researching on the subject.

I have visited several parks that have 30amp service only and they have removed the other 15 or 20 amp plug from the box because of this very reason. People using a splitter and overloading the main box.

nhunter

I made my own with 2 pieces of 8 gauge wire and 2 heavy duty plugs that go into a 50 box with plug. Works good.

navyAZ1

The parks we visited so far all usually have 2 30amp plugs and 1 20amp/120v each having their own breaker. I priced these pig tails at CW and I think I should be able to make my own cheaper if someone will sell just 3ft of #8 wire, guess I'll price it out and see. Thanks All for your replys.

jbeletti

navyAZ1,

Something to be said for the simplicity of just grabbing one at Camping World but like you, I often times like to make my own stuff. Especially when it comes to AC, DC and RF.

Most of the big home improvement stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards etc) sell this wire b the foot. Some may even have the connectors you need.

Jim

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
If you are talking about the 30 plus 20 amp wonder box here's a problem. It will only work if the 20 amp receptacle is NOT equipped with a GFCI breaker. Good luck.