Champion Brand Generators and other off brands

eddylives

Hey all , we have been running champion generators for 3 seasons now with no issues other than one being stolen while boon docking.
We have a 4000 peak 3000W continuous to take care of the heavy loads like AC and microwaves.
Along with a 1000 peak 900W continuous suitcase for light duty use keeping lights and entertainment going and batterys topped up.
The little one is actually a kippor generator re badged as champion , both (all 3) were purchased from Canadian Tire on sale for a really good price.
Does anyone else run genny's other than the yamahas hondas and such and have any good/bad stories?

I know of one bad thing that occured with a 3K unit from champion , friends of our had their voltage regulator fail and it cooked their trailer with over voltage and detroyed all the electronics and appliances. We did not know about the EMS/surge protector systems yet which was too bad it could have saved them a lot of damage.

Myself I made the mistake of picking up a United Power china generator and WOW! what a piece of junk lol.
Right out of the box it was 20 to 50 pulls on the rip cord to get it running lmao , I did not even shut it off to re-fuel once running for fear it would not start again.
It only lasted till the third weekend of use then the recoil ripped out and I had to fight to return it with a huge fight lol. But I convinced them to take it back if I purchased another gen which was the champion.

So who else has made the mistake of cheaping out lol?

Speedy

We have the same 400/3500 watt Champion you have and are very happy with it. Stays in the bed of the tow vehicle chained up to the hitch and is test run every month. Use it for light boondocking and emergency power at home. Yamaha and Honda were way too much money for my limited use.

jnbhobe

I have generators from Kohler,Kabota, Kawasaki, and Honda, The best is the Honda and the worst is the Kohler allthough its the oldest and loudest. The Kawasaki and Honda are the quietest and most fuel efficent. The Kabota is the easiest to start, Honda is electric or pull start.

rustyshakelford

we bought a little one from harbor freight. its a 900w starting and 800w continuous. when we were boon docking, we would run it when we didnt need a bunch of power. we used it to run the two tvs, sat dish and receiver and all the lights. it would run for a couple hours on a gallon of fuel. when we needed the coffee maker and elect hot water, we would turn on the onan

brett

Rrloren

I have a Duromax that I bought last Fall at a really good price on the internet , it's a 4400/3750.
So far only ran it twice but it starts on first or second pull . Other than testing it on the trailer I had to use it for about a half hr. during a power failure in Dec. Runs pretty well.

pegmikef

it would run for a couple hours on a gallon of fuel. when we needed the coffee maker and elect hot water, we would turn on the onan

brett

Hey Brett, is that "couple of hours" figurative or actual running time because my Honda 2000 will run five or six hours on the light load that you described? Mike

PUG

Pug
I have the 3500 / 4000 Champion that I purchased from Cabelas. I haven't run it much but more or less bought it for boon docking (that we don't do much of) or emergencies. After reading the specs I think it is clean enough power for most stuff but I won't use it on delicate electronics. They had it on sale for $300 with the wheel kit. Can't beat that for something I won't use much. I had an Onan 5500 in my other trl and it was nice but nice price too.

eddylives

Yes the 1000W champion/kippor is a inverter style with the econo mode on it so its awsome to have run at low rpm to keep batterys topped up.

DougS

Doug S
Man do I hate getting ripped off or hearing about someone else. I got an idea from my friend who I believe got the idea somewhere on the internet. I welded this idea up and bolted it to the bed of the truck. Bolts can only be reached by taking the gen out first. The rod going through the handle passes through a removeable pipe which I believe would make it harder to cut a rotating pipe. Rod with the pipe covering is a tight fit to make it real hard to cut rod. I had a cable passing through the handle, but I think the handle would be very easy and fast to cut. Can it still be stolen, sure, but the thief would have to make allot of noise. Also, I have a locking bed cover and I lock the tailgate. I keep the two gens in the back of the truck year round. I can also take the gens and holders out in less the 5 minutes, with a key of course. Pad locks are well under the side rails to make cutting them real tough.

Attachments

• Honda Gen Mount.jpg
    Honda Gen Mount.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 105

wdk450

I got a motorcycle anti-theft chain off E-Bay. It has square hardened links and a special lock with tumblers deeply recessed, and a tiny amount of shackle exposed (to thwart bolt cutters). The set cost $50. I user it on my Boily 3600 inverter generator.

BTW, while in Quartzsite, we had some rain, the generator got wet, and there was condensation in the gas guage (partly due to old fuel). I couldn't get the generator to start the next morning. I made a run into town to the one auto parts store, and got some Seafoam gas additive and some ether starting spray. The ether got it going first try, and the Seafoam removed the condensation. This stuff now has a permanent place in my truck toolbox.

Man do I hate getting ripped off or hearing about someone else. I got an idea from my friend who I believe got the idea somewhere on the internet. I welded this idea up and bolted it to the bed of the truck. Bolts can only be reached by taking the gen out first. The rod going through the handle passes through a removeable pipe which I believe would make it harder to cut a rotating pipe. Rod with the pipe covering is a tight fit to make it real hard to cut rod. I had a cable passing through the handle, but I think the handle would be very easy and fast to cut. Can it still be stolen, sure, but the thief would have to make allot of noise. Also, I have a locking bed cover and I lock the tailgate. I keep the two gens in the back of the truck year round. I can also take the gens and holders out in less the 5 minutes, with a key of course. Pad locks are well under the side rails to make cutting them real tough.

Last edited:

eddylives

Ya I hear you about theft......I have no respect or mercy for a thief lol
The sea foam products seem to work very well and I use them as often as needed with all my gas toys lol.
As for security of items I leave little for them to take now when we leave our camper for extended periods while boon docking in north western ontario and when we are all set up but gone fishing or hunting its all locked up to a point. That is really just enough to stop the opportunist from walking away with an item , if they really want it it is gone unfortunatly :mad:

I still like the fact that these champion generators start with one pull out of the box and handle their task's well.

PS what do you think of those that bring their industrial grade generators out that are so loud that they annoy people two lakes over from their camp site lol?

rustyshakelford

Hey Brett, is that "couple of hours" figurative or actual running time because my Honda 2000 will run five or six hours on the light load that you described? Mike

i think it was around 3-4 hrs. it was a pretty good load on the genny though since its only an 800w. i initally bought it to be a back up to run a small battery charger in case we ran the house batteries down so much we cant get the genny to start. after using it, i love it. i wouldnt use it in a camp ground (sounds like a mad weedeater) but boon docking its great. if it walks off im only out $100 and that includes a no question asked replacment in case something goes wrong with it for two years.

they are not a comparison to the quality of honda or yamaha gennys, but they start easy and run good for the price point.

brett

jpajax

I ran this one. 3,000 watts continues clean power. Put it in front storage department with slide out. It also comes with remote starter. It is a Boliy 3600 :cool:

Attachments

• 0113111240.jpg
    0113111240.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 0113111242.jpg
    0113111242.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 1212091335.jpg
    1212091335.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 52

GOTTOYS

i have a Champion 4000/3500 that i never use. I replaced a Honda 2000 that I never used. If I need it I have it. I sold the Honda for about $10.00 less than I paid for it. The Champion is about 1/3 the price for a lot more power. Downside, it's a lot heavier, uses more gas and is WAY noisier. On the other hand..it's harder to steal because of the weight and easier to secure than the Honda. I'm not sure if I will ever need it while camping but it is useful around the house. Just couldn't see having a nice Honda just sitting around waiting for somebody to steal it..Don

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
buy a honda, it starts, makes less noise than "any thing" on the market, parts are everywhere you go, easy to pick up and handle up to a certain size, they will outlast the made in china stuff. need a part for the chinese stuff in the middle of west texas, good luck.

wdk450

The guy next to me in Quartzsite had a small Class C rig and used a small (1KW?), cheap generator. He had no air conditioner on his rig I could see. I was amazed how quiet it was compared to my expensive, inverter technology, advertised quiet, 3KW generator.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have a 4000 watt Champion, really like it. A little noisier, a little heavier, easy to secure in the truck. Starts every time runs one a/c, lights and tv. It has a 30amp rv recepticle. I have friends that have other brands, some they run in tandem with no more power. Champion also has a really good cover that fits great.

jwreese73

I have the 3500 / 4000 Champion that I purchased from Cabelas. I haven't run it much but more or less bought it for boon docking (that we don't do much of) or emergencies. After reading the specs I think it is clean enough power for most stuff but I won't use it on delicate electronics. They had it on sale for $300 with the wheel kit. Can't beat that for something I won't use much. I had an Onan 5500 in my other trl and it was nice but nice price too.

I bought the same one on Black Friday ($269 with wheels and covers). Have used it a few times during power outtages when when moved into the 5er. It's perfect for my use.