2012 Ford f350 superduty & cy3800

bd2dabone

Now all these numbers are totally confusing. Probably making a lot more out of it than necessary by reading between the lines. However I wanted to run this by the multitudes to kick around and bash me before I sign on the line. Please dont say "use the search button-that justs adds to the frustration level"

Here is my proposed setup:

2012 Ford F350 Superduty with 4x4 DRW.
Ford claims max trailer weight 21,500lbs.

Cyclone toyhauler model cy3800.
Heartland rates cy 3800 GVWR = 18,000lbs.
Dry weight of cy 3800 = 14750lbs.

If i interpret these figures correctly this truck is okay to pull this trailer with a tad bit leftover. Is this a correct statement? I certainly dont want to dig into my pocket book this deep and then say I wish I would have gone ahead and gotten the F450.

tks
steve

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Steve, you will be OK. The main issue and has always been "is the TV rated to haul the gross weight of the trailer legally". With the GVWR of the 350 at 21K and the Cyclone being 18K. You are good to go. Granted 18K is alot of weight and a 450 would be better. Just always make sure that you give alot of stopping distance and you will be fine.

DW_Gray

Steve, by following the instructions of the article listed in my signature you'll find the F350 is fine. Not to downplay what Bob said, I don't think a vehicle would be rated for the published maximum trailer weight if the brakes could not handle it. On the other hand, I've started some research on "What if you lost the brakes on the trailer, could your vehicle safely stop what you're towing?"

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Hey Dave, how are you and Amy doing. NO TRAILER BRAKES..............an "E" ticket ride". Throw out an anchor or your MIL tied to a rope.

porthole

Retired
The 350 DRW will give you room to spare. The suspension will handle it.
The odds are real good that you will need air bags to make the truck level, but it is not necessary.

The 450 will only give you a bit more capacity, but you will get a better turning radius and bigger brakes (almost 2" bigger).
SpringerDan on this site here has a 2011 450, we have a 2011 350. Similar towing, he gets about 1 mpg less with the higher gear ratio (450 has a 4.30 versus 3.73 on the 350)
Brakes:
Front 13.66-inch discs (F-250, F-350), 14.53-inch discs (F-450)
Rear 13.39-inch discs (F-250, F-350), 15.35-inch discs (F-450)

branson4020

Icantre Member
Steve, by following the instructions of the article listed in my signature you'll find the F350 is fine. Not to downplay what Bob said, I don't think a vehicle would be rated for the published maximum trailer weight if the brakes could not handle it. On the other hand, I've started some research on "What if you lost the brakes on the trailer, could your vehicle safely stop what you're towing?"

BTDT - Lost my trailer brakes on a steep grade coming down out of the Cascades. This was with a Dodge 2500 gasser, automatic, and a SOB trailer with about a 10,000 lb loaded weight. I was able to get is slowed down enough to get into 1st gear and then stopped but the engine was redlined and the brakes were smokin hot with just a minute or so of braking.

mmomega

AnyTimer
2nd everything Porthole went over. My KeyLargo is about 1,500lbs, give or take, lighter than yours and this truck could pull a much heavier trailer without a problem and handle it. I towed through the N.Ga-S.TN mountains last summer and it handled the trailer great. Plenty of torque up the mountains and plenty of slowdown coming back down.

I'm going to end up putting bags on mine just for leveling purposes. I'm still beating myself on whether or not to get the R4Tech system since my DRW is my daily driver... it may be worth it.

porthole

Retired
I'm still beating myself on whether or not to get the R4Tech system since my DRW is my daily driver... it may be worth it.

Just spoke with them again yesterday. The kit is now completely available. They were having some bracket issues due to the DEF tank.
Tony at Sansulini did tell me springs are sometimes in short supply.

I also inquired about getting the kit without the compressor and tank. Since Firestone is the distributor that is an issue. The compressor and tank are in the same package as all the other "air management" gear. My preference would be a "do-all" compressor and tank, something to handle the air suspension, air hitch and horns. Viair 100% duty cycle kit.

I don't doubt the the supplied kit is just adequate for the application. Same as with the Firestone or AirLift bag kits or the Hensley hitch option.

My 350 DRW is also my daily driver and the R4 kit really has my interest as it show make the unloaded ride similar to a 150.
I was going to do bags anyway, may as well put the bag money towards the R4.

Only thing with that kit is the lack of end user comments. Seems no one on the 3 main Ford forums have tried it yet.

bd2dabone

My new ride 2012 Ford F350 Lariat Superduty diesel 4x4 crewcab dually. Just recently retired. So here is a present to myself. First new vehicle in 20 years. Ya know some how the kids always came first. I cant complain about my 1994 Ford Ranger 4x4 Super Cab "splash edition" 230,000 miles and still going. Kept it to run locally-to the dump, Walmart to prevent dings in new truck etc.

Anyway the new truck is a dream to drive. Getting upper 16's to lower 17's mpg. Towed my Ranger and got 16.2 which I am happy. Soon to order the Cyclone 3800, we are awaiting paperwork completion by dealer. Then we will see how the mpg drops.

Attachments

• 2012_0223truxRZR0010.jpg
    2012_0223truxRZR0010.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 61

lwmcguir

We are consistently getting 12-13 and holding the speed around 65. Augusta isnt loaded real heavy and we drive consistently, not like a jack rabbit as we see a lot of folks do. Very happy with the milage as it is the best we have ever got towing the heavier trailers or the 5th Wheel Coach. A lot of folks claimed to get great milage with the 7.3's but the fleet we have had and still have three, never did. You will absolutely love the truck. It is fun to drive towing or just running around.

porthole

Retired
DRW's just don't get the same mileage.
And we/he are comparing the Cyclone, much heavier trailer with a larger frontal area - drag profile.

I would love 12-13 at 65, just doesn't happen though.

There are plenty of Kool-Aid drinkers on the Ford forums who are claiming 18 to 20 plus, some even towing!

mmomega

AnyTimer
I got 13mpg towing the Landmark....once, for about an hour. I was keeping it right around 55-60 on a flat road. Once I started getting into any hills it started dropping back down to the 11's-12.
Towing through hill country in S.TX on our last trip I avg'd 9.something. A LOT of hills the way we go and a bit of stop and go through towns. I've gotten 11+mpg by staying on the interstate doing the same trip.
Nice RZR on the trailer btw. I'm still wanting to get one. I said 2 years ago I'd end up with a 2013 model.

FordMan1966

I can ditto that MPG towing with a 2011 F350 DRW PSD 4X2 3:73 gear and towing my current Montana that weights about 11,000 I can get 12.8 MPG towing at 65MPH. I am happy. I probably unloaded 800 lbs. of things out of it yesterday waiting on a 2013 Landmark Grand Canyon that is at the paint shop getting Full Body Paint to be delivered next week from the factory.

We are consistently getting 12-13 and holding the speed around 65. Augusta isnt loaded real heavy and we drive consistently, not like a jack rabbit as we see a lot of folks do. Very happy with the milage as it is the best we have ever got towing the heavier trailers or the 5th Wheel Coach. A lot of folks claimed to get great milage with the 7.3's but the fleet we have had and still have three, never did. You will absolutely love the truck. It is fun to drive towing or just running around.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
FordMan1966, congrats on the new GC that will be on the way soon. We too have that model and love the floor plan.

porthole

Retired
Can not get the Level Up. My driveway is steep and the jacks behind the wheels hit the driveway before it got up on the driveway.

I saw that in your other post, and replied.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/29223-Hydraulic-Level-up?p=229920&viewfull=1#post229920

The LevelUp jacks are adjustable in the initial height.

And worst case, set the initial height high enough and then use blocks for those 2 jacks.

Too bad, you are missing out on one of the best options for trailers in years